Alternatives to Glade

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: Alternatives to Glade

Postby Extraweltalways » 13 Mar 2013, 17:06

Gottwood Festival, enough said. Think Glade in the early days in an evening more stunning location

This post by author Extraweltalways sorted:
Jdawg (14 Mar 2013, 12:33)
Rating: 20%

Extraweltalways
Newbie - please be gentle

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 1 time

Postby jimran » 13 Mar 2013, 17:17

Extraweltalways wrote:Gottwood Festival, enough said. Think Glade in the early days in an evening more stunning location

yes! we're trying that out this year, all electronic and only 85quids too :)
paranoia saves lives...

This post by author jimran sorted:
Jdawg (14 Mar 2013, 12:34)

jimran
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted in: 3 times
Motto: skankenstein

Postby Jdawg » 14 Mar 2013, 12:32

Extraweltalways wrote:Gottwood Festival, enough said. Think Glade in the early days in an evening more stunning location

Ah yes Gottwood. I've hard so many good things about this place. Always keep the music varied and interesting and apparently the forest lit up at night is ridiculous. Big emphasis on visuals. Most excited that they are bringing the German progressive techno label Traum over - Extrawelt, Ryan Davis, Microtrauma, Van Did all live - YES PLEASE!! Move D, Bicep, Ben UFO, Crazy P, 2 Bad Mice too! Bring on June! :D :D :D
Jdawg

Sorted out: 3 times
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby fletcher » 14 Mar 2013, 14:02

I know a guy who DJ'd in the forest at gottwood last year, he said it was awesome fun

This post by author fletcher sorted:
Jdawg (14 Mar 2013, 18:52)

fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby olis » 08 Aug 2013, 14:03

So Eastern Electrics happened last weekend, was it an alternative for Glade... erm no, not in the slightest.

A severe lack of variety to the music, no imagination put into the site, nothing to do other than the stages, the main stage and another tent cancelled without informing the ticket holders beforehand, heavy police presence inside and out, felt like a criminal just for going to a festival.

The vibe/atmosphere wasn't at all like Glade, a lot of people just wanting to get messy for the hell of it and not actually there for the music at all.

I kind of knew it would be like this, but I thought as it was my only nearish festival with a bit of techno on the line up I'd give it a go, just in case... but I wish I hadn't, waste of money, won't be going back.

Fingers crossed for Glade 2014!

Would be interested in hearing about some of the other alternatives, Gottwood etc if anyone is interested in sharing their thoughts.

This post by author olis sorted:
djdoublezero (09 Aug 2013, 18:06)

olis

Sorted in: 1 time

Postby jimran » 19 Aug 2013, 15:34

i tried gottwood this year, was ok. beautiful site but noooo variation in music just house house and more house. as a result doesnt really pull in what you might consider a 'proper avin it' festival crowd. dont get me wrong it was very warm and friendly, but also quite clean cut with a lot of sideways haircuts and sunglasses at night time that sort of thing.
even luke viberts set didnt really do it for me, did a lot of that 70s japanese elevator music stuff that he does sometimes (i only stayed for the first half so maybe it got better).

did see a few good sets on the friday night, extravelt being one of the highlights. sat night did bring a few good bouncy speed garage bangers courtesy of eton messy and such, but really kind of fizzled out quite anti-climatically, seemingly billing the heavier stuff earlier on and then winding down as the night progressed. there was a 'holi-style' paint fight on sunday :)

the site is wicked though: most of the action takes place in the woods as opposed to just having a woodland stage. there were some very nice art installations / chill out space put together by some really nice volunteers, and a secret tree house stage popped up out of the blue on saturday which was cool (although aaaargh more house). a nice little private lake within the grounds made a stunning backdrop for some sunday afternoon rootsier stuff, but that would soon descend into house before long.

all in all im glad i went but i wouldnt go again and am not sure where this 'early-glade' sentiment has come from tbh. no comparison.
paranoia saves lives...
jimran
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted in: 3 times
Motto: skankenstein

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 20 Aug 2013, 21:21

rumour on the streets is that pearl is gonna chock :(

Pearl Festival
5 minutes ago
A big shout out to all the Pearl Family out there. Venture capital would make this happen! We have had an unexpected
problem with cash flow and need an investor who would make this happen!
BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby PaulX » 21 Aug 2013, 12:51

And, as people are probably aware, it has officially tanked now:

Jimbobbles Kirkham Posted by Chris Williams
Hello, this is probably the hardest thing i've ever had to write on here, as im very upset. After working tirelessly for over 9 months to make Pearl Festival happen and secure the fabulous Houghton Hall, it no longer is. We have sold 2000 tickets, and have a license for a 24 hour event. Houghton Hall have been great, as have all the artists (many of whom we have paid for flights for in advance at great cost) and people coming to the event, but the bottom line is, the ticket agencies hold the cash for the events until they happen, and the financier and promoter of this event (who also runs another festival which was last weekend and narrowly missed targets) has run out of cashflow. All options were looked at over the last 2 days to get the necessary money into the operation but alas we then got beaten by time as there is not now time to get the infrastructure on site for the Safety Advisory Group tomorrow. I have to say after 10 years of working on events, this is the most gutting and disappointing thing i have ever had to deal with.
Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 20:37 (16 hours ago) via mobileReply

:(

And so another one bites the dust. It's not because of licensing issues this time but these are still dark times for UK festies. :(
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby djdoublezero » 21 Aug 2013, 15:33

what so the promoter ran out of money? :o ermm......
djdoublezero
Technical Consultant
Technical Consultant

Sorted out: 59 times
Sorted in: 22 times
Motto: Raw To Tha Core

Postby pesh » 21 Aug 2013, 17:49

i feel really sorry for the Waveform and Pearl crews, they're both run by really sound people who are just trying to put a good party on.

but do think it would have been a lot better if they'd done one festival between them, if they had there should have been enough punters and cash around to make it work, and the extra diversity in the music policy would have probably brought a few more people along.

Houghton Hall is a top location, if they'd stuck the Pie in the woods like last years Liquid stage, then a nice chillout on the edge of it and a couple of tents for Waveform that would have been a lovely small under the radar party.
lets go get sushi, and not pay!
pesh
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 34 times

PreviousNext

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)