Alternatives to Glade

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: Alternatives to Glade

Postby djdoublezero » 21 Aug 2013, 17:56

pesh wrote:small under the radar

...is the only way forward TBH. Less problems for everyone.
djdoublezero
Technical Consultant
Technical Consultant

Sorted out: 59 times
Sorted in: 22 times
Motto: Raw To Tha Core

Postby Jake Burns » 21 Aug 2013, 23:36

pesh wrote:i feel really sorry for the Waveform and Pearl crews, they're both run by really sound people who are just trying to put a good party on.

but do think it would have been a lot better if they'd done one festival between them, if they had there should have been enough punters and cash around to make it work, and the extra diversity in the music policy would have probably brought a few more people along.

From what I understand - it wasnt lack of punters that stopped Pearl (I think they'd sold a reasonable amount - defo enough to cover costs) - it was cash flow. You cannot access the tickets money from agencies until *after* the event - so need money upfront to pay for stuff - the funder had lost a load of money the week before on another festival - and so they ran out of cash to pay for all the infrastructure you need in place... an occupational hazard of many a business thats gone under
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Postby countryqueen » 23 Aug 2013, 14:49

Houghton Hall and the local council were all right behind Pearl (and Glade). It was indeed the lack of cashflow that stymied this Pearl. Very sad for everyone because all parties wanted it to succeed. Houghton Hall, as a licensed venue, are typically very supportive of these types of events but they have to be properly supported in terms of management and cash!

I cannot describe how FILTHY Houghton was in the aftermath of Glade. I mean, toally and indescribably disgusting. Imagine if no one had the cash to pay for the clear up?
A month previous to Glade 2012, a similar number of people (and their horses) stayed/camped for 4 days for a horse trials event. The day after everyone had left, there was barely a stick of straw to be seen as evidence anyone had been there. Compare this with the utter devastion that festival goers leave behind them (you could barely see a blade of grass for all the detritus), it is no wonder that landowners are generally terrified of the rave scene!
It is a complete and utter lack of respect for the community, space and ecosystem around them that I find so hard to comprehend from festival goers. Shame! Everything else about these festivals are just awe-inspiring.
countryqueen
Part of the furniture already
Part of the furniture already

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby NateDawg » 25 Aug 2013, 23:34

NateDawg
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 6 times

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 26 Aug 2013, 22:28

countryqueen wrote: Imagine if no one had the cash to pay for the clear up?

thank god there is an entire industry built off the back of cleaning up festivals
BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby PaulX » 28 Aug 2013, 16:23

BassBin Terrorizer wrote:
countryqueen wrote: Imagine if no one had the cash to pay for the clear up?

thank god there is an entire industry built off the back of cleaning up festivals

Sarky bugger. :P

I think countryqueen has a point, to be fair. It wasn't that long ago that festivalgoers cleaned up after themselves instead of leaving behind a shit-tip with the attitude that it was other people's problem. This all seemed to change around the mid 2000s as festivals started to become more mainstream and inconsiderate arseholes started leaving all their disposable tat strewn across the fields.

Yes, the festivals employ litter pickers to clean up the site - and I know that the original Glade team worked very hard with the landowners to get the site back to its pre-festival condition. But even so, behaving with the level of self-responsibility of a Jeremy Kyle participant doesn't do the reputation of festivalgoers any good.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby pesh » 28 Aug 2013, 20:57

countryqueen wrote:A month previous to Glade 2012, a similar number of people (and their horses) stayed/camped for 4 days for a horse trials event. The day after everyone had left, there was barely a stick of straw to be seen as evidence anyone had been there.

well no, they will have got their staff to clean up after them, once they've finished looking after the horses.
lets go get sushi, and not pay!
pesh
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 34 times

Postby fletcher » 01 Sep 2013, 21:36

dirt cheap camping equipment doesn't help... ten years ago a half decent tent set you back £200 and you looked after it to make sure it lasted a few seasons. These days you can pick up a 2-birth for £30 (or less) and where's the incentive to take it home? A good storm would wreck most of these cheap tents (and gazebo's) anyway.

And YES there definitely is an industry on post-festival works...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-23879805
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby ook » 28 Sep 2013, 11:19

mischife was really good this year stepped up there game from the last one almost feels like the first boomtown i went to before it moved to matterly bowl. well worth checking out next year.
ook
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 3 times

Previous

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)