Bouncer's rights when searching.

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Bouncer's rights when searching.

Postby faix » 19 Jan 2010, 17:22

Went Leeds this weekend just gone to celebrate my boyfriends birthday.
However, the bouncers at Mine, Leeds University Union were absolutely appalling in my opinion.
I've never seen a bouncer search someone so vigorously, too me it looked like they was well beyond their rights to search my boyfriend and his friends in the places and to the extent that they did. (However, they just let me and one of my girlfriends just walk right through) Can't believe how rude they were either, I mean I know alot of bouncers have a hard job on their hands and have to act a bit mean so to speak, but their attitude was so awful.

Have looked across the internet to try and find out what a bouncers rights are when searching you (like where they can search, where they cant etc) but cant find anything. So if anyone could help that'd be great.

x
brown depositry.
faix
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 15 times
Motto: confused.

Re: Bouncer's rights when searching.

Postby lahmjpowder » 19 Jan 2010, 17:30

Yea I've always wondered this aswell... Last Bangface the geezer on the door was properly going through all my pockets, going through my wallet, even flicking through the christmas cards I wrote out. I left my grinder in my pocket aswell and he confiscated it, I asked him if i could get it back at the end of the night and he said yea, when I found him at the end of the night he told me he'd thrown it in the bin...Surley he's not within his rights to throw away my possessions?
lahmjpowder
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 2 times

Postby PaulX » 19 Jan 2010, 17:44

Well, you do have the right to refuse a search by them. But since they can then deny you entry to the event, this "right" isn't much use to you.

I've been to events at Leeds Uni Union before that were open to the general public and wasn't subjected to any heavy searches. Has there been a major i8ncident there recently?
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby pesh » 19 Jan 2010, 17:48

bouncers don't have the right to search you at all, but if you don't let them they don't have to let you in...
lets go get sushi, and not pay!
pesh
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted in: 34 times

Postby PaulX » 19 Jan 2010, 17:55

Faix, can you describe exactly what these searches were like?

It's true that bouncers can refuse you entry if you refuse to allow a search. However, there are limits on just how intrusive those searches can be.

Only police or customs officers have the powers to strip search you without agreement - if a door supervisor searches inside your clothes or performs a strip search without your permission they may be charged with assault.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby faix » 19 Jan 2010, 18:26

I know that you have the right to refuse a search by them, but who would.
So am wondering when they do search you, how far can they go?

They obviously patted them down, then put their hands in their front and back pockets (which I thought was way too intrusive) even patted my boyfriend down around his crotch area which I though wasn't allowed. Then they searched through every section of their wallets.

x
brown depositry.
faix
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted in: 15 times
Motto: confused.

Postby Dave Skywalker » 20 Jan 2010, 09:07

That's pretty intrusive but nothing too major imo. Back in the mid 90's this was pretty common practice at major raves to take everything out of your pockets and I'd think nothing of the bouncer checking inside them, thankfully only once or twice did it get as intrusive as the bouncer patting down around the undercarriage. It was also not unheard of at raves back in the day for women bouncers to check inside the womens bras.

In fact I've noticed at some nights in London and at regular clubs, if a bouncer asks me and my raving mates to be searched we'll immediately take everything out of our pockets and adopt the standard "old skool raver search" stance, which takes them a bit by suprise sometimes :D
By the time you've read this message it's too late to stop reading it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Skyw ... 8010427836
http://www.daveskywalker.com
Dave Skywalker
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 19 times
Motto: He knows just how much it is tweed boy.

Postby baldmosher » 20 Jan 2010, 11:01

What Dave and Pesh said. I ALWAYS expect to have my pockets and wallet searched when going clubbing. I've seen them ask for socks and shoes to be removed before now, Sankey's in Manchester make you hold your mouth open to check in there for chewing gum, which is banned. It's par for the course to have a thorough search and they don't need to give a reason or any warning as to how strict your personal search will be.

Crotch patting is a bit excessive though! Watch the nads mate! :? I've known ladies have their bras searched by a female bouncer and that I personally find equally excessive and although I don't mind someone feeling around my waistband, I would probably refuse a crotch search on principle.

If you panic, you can always leave the queue to dispose of whatever you've got on you and rejoin the queue. Of course they'll search you VERY thoroughly if you do that!

I got searched once in Sheffield and I had something in my front jeans pocket that I shouldn't have. But that was my own stupid fault for forgetting it was still there from the previous night's private partying - usually I'm loaded before I arrive at a club. Since then, I always search myself properly before I go out, it saves hassle on the door, gives you an air of confidence, and doesn't give the bouncers the kick of making you feel like a criminal. (That time in Sheff, I really did feel like one, and it shit me right up as they probably could have called the Police over it, but as I'd arrived with a party on a minibus from Manc, they gave me a very thorough search, a severe reprimand, and let me in.)
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby Dave Skywalker » 20 Jan 2010, 18:04

Just to make it clear btw, the pat down was OUTSIDE the clothes. If a bouncer goes behind the waistband then I think you have ample ground to complain!!
By the time you've read this message it's too late to stop reading it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Skyw ... 8010427836
http://www.daveskywalker.com
Dave Skywalker
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 19 times
Motto: He knows just how much it is tweed boy.

Postby Beatmonkey » 20 Jan 2010, 20:14

Stop fucking whining. As long as they don't have a grope what's the problem.

if a bouncer asks me and my raving mates to be searched we'll immediately take everything out of our pockets and adopt the standard "old skool raver search" stance, which takes them a bit by suprise sometimes

Yea I do this out of habit as well. Just whack my shit on the desk and make like a starfish. Normally they don't seem to search so hard if you look like you were expecting it.
Massive hippycrit.
Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

Next

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything