Bristol Council Shut Down Black Swan!

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Bristol Council Shut Down Black Swan!

Postby Magma » 24 Dec 2009, 13:24

WHAT THE FUCK!?

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Tro ... ticle.html

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :( :(
Magma
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 7 times
Sorted in: 17 times

Re: Bristol Council Shut Down Black Swan!

Postby wooly_sammoth » 24 Dec 2009, 13:41

That is the worst news I've heard all day.

As one of the commenters says, it is stupid how a well known and well loved institution like the swan can be closed on the basis of heresay and conjecture.

I'm considering urinating in several gardens while staring in at the residents as a protest
wooly_sammoth
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby PaulX » 24 Dec 2009, 15:42

Fuck! :o

Anyone know any more background on this? I've never been to the Swan but I know how central it is to the Bristol scene and how popular it is with people on this board who have been frequenting it for years.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby Benwrongun » 24 Dec 2009, 23:40

yeah its pretty bad news, had another wrong night in the pipe line for it, allready booked a few artists, and two of my mates nights over the next two weeks which are now screwed.... theyre clamping down on posters in bristol to, planning to clean the main ares, apprently paying big issue selleres 10p per poster they take down and hand in to the council... interesting times ahead.

when you consider the super club http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Cle ... ticle.html
Benwrongun
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Postby PaulX » 27 Dec 2009, 09:45

A really good discussion on this has been building up in the comments on the thisisbristol.co.uk story.

Can all you Black Swan regulars get in touch with me by pm? Thanks. ;)
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby PaulX » 28 Dec 2009, 15:39

I like this suggestion from the comments:

Closing down a highly popular pub, used by a great number of people is one great way to make these people develope a grudge against the police and the council, and isn't about to make those people who might bave been at the swan have more respect for the law. maybe this will kick some new radical life into the underground scene, could be it's time to reclaim the streets again. Basically, this policing is not only unjustified but also practically guarenteed to exarcebate the 'problem' it is addressing.
How about a new year street party in protest? ?

Beth, Bristol

Respect to Beth of Bristol. I hope people take her up on her suggestion.

If they're going to take away all our legal venues, people are just going to have to rave illegally, aren't they?
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby Beatmonkey » 28 Dec 2009, 18:46

This is shit news, I only went a couple of times but it was fuckin fantastic every time I did. I always found the vibe inside to be amazingly friendly, sure outside looked rough as fuck but that's what taxis are for.

As for beth's suggestion, Mongrel have sorted an alternative venue incase the swan isn't back open for new years eve but a protest party at some other time is a great idea :)
Massive hippycrit.
Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

Postby Benwrongun » 29 Dec 2009, 22:46

the swan lost its second appeal today.... :x
Benwrongun
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Postby baldmosher » 30 Dec 2009, 01:35

My comment just added

I've been once for a friend's night. Lovely place, had no idea it was in such a reputably poor area (I live in Moss Side!) but was warned not to walk back from there and to get a taxi.

I'm concerned about the loss of the pub but it's indicative of modern life that pubs in dodgy areas are a good public meeting place for criminals to talk shop. Just a shame that they're also a good meeting place for law-abiding citizens too.

I'm not sure how having law-abiding citizens stood smoking outside the pub, with security on the doors, will make the area much safer at night. Certainly quieter though.

The pub has closed, not the nights that use it as a venue. It's a shame but others will step into its place. I've been to a handful of venues and there are plenty to go around in Bristol. Manchester only has crappy venues like WHP now, which is just about as low as the barrel should be scraped for clubbing, totally money driven and with the sole intention of squeezing every drop of cash from the attendees with no regard for their enjoyment of the night. This is why I don't go clubbing in Manchester very often nowadays. I prefer to go to Bristol, and this won't stop me.

They have a street party in St Paul's fairly regularly. It's mental. Everyone seems to be having a good time and there are sound systems and stalls set up all over the place in people's front gardens, on the streets, pubs, car parks, kebab shops, etc. Not sure NYE would be warm enough to do that though....
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby Benwrongun » 30 Dec 2009, 11:51

think you will find thats st pauls carnival, wicked party.
Benwrongun
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Next

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything