No camping stoves?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: No camping stoves?

Postby siani » 11 Apr 2011, 19:49

PaulX wrote:
Will food and drink be reasonably priced then?
Yes! Whilst we have only limited control over food prices, there will be a huge range on offer. Bar prices will be listed here under news closer to the time.

LOL
yeah RIGHT.

PaulX wrote:
Can I Bar-B-Q?
Unfortunately no, due to the protected nature of the land on which Glade is held. We also won't be able to allow camping stoves as they present a fire hazard when there are so many tents close by. There will be beautiful fire circles though, so please toast marshmallows at your leisure.

seriously, how tightly are they planning to pack people into the camping if it's going to be so packed that it's too dangerous to use a camping stove?

all i'd end up doing was smuggling it in and then using it inside my tent. i strongly suspect others would too which kind of shits all over the "safety" thing. obvious money grab is obvious.
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby PaulX » 11 Apr 2011, 20:14

I doubt that they'll care, siani, as they're really pleased with the way ticket sales are going right now.

If you want cheaper, with a good line-up and an atmosphere like early Glade, lots of people are saying the Beat-Herder is where it's at...
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby junglesausage » 11 Apr 2011, 20:19

for someone who hates beer, wine and cider i am little bit screwed for campsite drinking, not sure why spirits arent allowed
not only am i penialised at weddings for only liking spirits, festivals want to screw me over too! cant even turn to tea with the lack of camping stove!! maybe i should move to russia i bet they let vodka in over there. will be a little colder though
junglesausage
Here long enough to buy a round
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby yohankiwi » 11 Apr 2011, 22:50

This is definitely a SGP thing, as I read exactly the same rules on their website, so I doubt the glade chaps have much say over the matter unfortunately
yohankiwi
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 1 time
Sorted in: 1 time

Postby Jake Burns » 12 Apr 2011, 19:52

I've never been or even heard of a festival thats stops you bringing in gas stoves... I cannot really see any justification for it - except to force people to buy the food on offer.. which hopefully wont be at SGP prices.. £32 for a meal on saturday (check the website!)

its outrageous..
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Postby baldmosher » 12 Apr 2011, 20:13

You can get self-heating camping meals that don't require a stove. They're pricey but OK if you're desperate. Then again, buying a meal at Glade would probably be the same price.

I reckon I could get my trangia and hexaburner in without much trouble. Would probably get bollocked by stewards within seconds of lighting it though, and no easy way to put out hexamine once lit, so they would have to either stand and watch it burn out or watch me cook.

4 years ago I'd've been really bothered by this news but frankly nowadays I can't usually be bothered cooking (I recall PaulX had the same opinion) so at least if I know I have to buy all my meals, it's one less thing to worry about and a lot less to carry into the festival.

Actually, since I can cook inside my tent (it's big) I don't see how they plan to stop me.

Brunch: bacon and egg oatcakes
Dinner: Thai Noodles
Supper: ale and stuff
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby baldmosher » 12 Apr 2011, 21:59

PaulX wrote:I doubt that they'll care, siani, as they're really pleased with the way ticket sales are going right now.

Oh aye. Nice of them to tell us no stoves when we bought the ticket. Hope there's plenty of allergy-conscious foods on offer. I'm guessing someone with a fatal peanut allergy would probably be doped up on antihistamines all weekend but that doesn't help CunningStunt who is wheat intolerant. You wouldn't believe how many foods contain wheat, nor how many that do contain wheat but don't really need to. Admittedly there aren't many that taste better without it, but wheat free cake is utter win. Coeliacs can't even eat rice. They're totally fucked.

PaulX wrote:If you want cheaper, with a good line-up and an atmosphere like early Glade, lots of people are saying the Beat-Herder is where it's at...

Definitely not like early Glade though. Well, in some ways, maybe the first one. BH is far more friendly and family-safe than Glade ever was and the site layout is great. There are lots and lots of largely unimpressive acts alongside the occasional big name and the even more occasional decent band with a small name during the day, lots of local DJs and the odd big name in the evening. So no, not really a replacement for Glade however skint you might be. It's not a bad choice for a cheaper, smaller version of Glastonbury though.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby CunningStunt » 13 Apr 2011, 10:34

Seriously thinking of asking for a refund over this...
~You fondle my trigger then you blame my gun~
CunningStunt
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 5 times
Motto: Mrs Baldmosher

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 13 Apr 2011, 11:15

CunningStunt wrote:Seriously thinking of asking for a refund over this...

Was it mentioned that no camping stoves are allowed when tickets initially went on sale? or is this something that has since been announced?

If it's the latter then i don't see how they can enforce the "no refunds" policy as they're adding additional T&C onto the contract that already exists between yourself and glade.
BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby CunningStunt » 13 Apr 2011, 12:35

Exactly, tho I'm sure Baldmosher would still go and find someone to take my ticket. It's the principle more than anything else. Are they going to shut off the taps and stop you taking water in also so that you have to buy it?

As health and safety goes I understand the fire risk, I just think that finding such a venue and expecting all attendees to buy food and drink all weekend is a bit much when you've already paid for your ticket. Two meals a day at an estimate of £5 each is gonna cost us £80 for the duration, that's without drinks.
~You fondle my trigger then you blame my gun~
CunningStunt
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 5 times
Motto: Mrs Baldmosher

PreviousNext

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)