No camping stoves?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: No camping stoves?

Postby 0x06 » 14 Apr 2011, 17:13

Thinking more about the camping stoves, and re-reading the Glade FAQ it does look like the owner of the land might have imposed it as a rental condition.

If that is the case then similar to the fire circles, there should be a fire-safe cooking area where people can use their stoves rather than banning them outright.
0x06
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 2 times

Postby PaulX » 14 Apr 2011, 17:22

0x06 wrote:Thinking more about the camping stoves, and re-reading the Glade FAQ it does look like the owner of the land might have imposed it as a rental condition.

If that is the case then similar to the fire circles, there should be a fire-safe cooking area where people can use their stoves rather than banning them outright.

I quite like the idea of a communal cooking area. :)
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby baldmosher » 14 Apr 2011, 17:56

As someone who does a fair bit of camping, one thing I find festie sites have NEVER understood properly is that they are actually huge camp sites, with a load of music going on nearby.

Glade got it pretty much bang on at Matterly, those sinks with pits were a real godsend for seasoned campers. Washing up without a sink is nigh on impossible. (It's even easier with hot water but that'd be pretty silly.) However it's also wasting drinking water (which was in very VERY short supply in 2006 and 2007 as knobheads were showering under the tap, leaving it running, etc.)

If they do have a communal cooking area, I'm sure most would forgive them. If so, please can it have some sinks so we can wash up. If they can possibly have solar hot water, that would be fucking immense.

That said, they would be have to allow people to bring in stoves, and I'm not sure they'd be able to police against people guerilla cooking outside or inside their tent. But it might give the fire marshalls something to do other than watch the backs of their hands for six hours.....
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby yohankiwi » 14 Apr 2011, 19:28

PaulX wrote:
0x06 wrote:Thinking more about the camping stoves, and re-reading the Glade FAQ it does look like the owner of the land might have imposed it as a rental condition.

I quite like the idea of a communal cooking area. :)

yeah that's a great idea. Can you put it forward to the organisers Paul?
yohankiwi
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 1 time
Sorted in: 1 time

Postby siani » 14 Apr 2011, 20:39

baldmosher wrote:As someone who does a fair bit of camping, one thing I find festie sites have NEVER understood properly is that they are actually huge camp sites, with a load of music going on nearby.

THIS. the camping is as important as the music. sitting around a stove drinking tea when you can't quite face the crowds yet is LOVELY. we all talk about group camps - we bring gazebos and folding chairs, and we make friends with the neighbours, and share the one plastic tub of sugar someone remembered. i ran into someone at a rave a couple of weeks back who remembered me from Glade just because i brought a massive tent and had hot chocolate to share. :)

baldmosher wrote:If they do have a communal cooking area, I'm sure most would forgive them. If so, please can it have some sinks so we can wash up. If they can possibly have solar hot water, that would be fucking immense.

That said, they would be have to allow people to bring in stoves, and I'm not sure they'd be able to police against people guerilla cooking outside or inside their tent. But it might give the fire marshalls something to do other than watch the backs of their hands for six hours.....

that was how they handled it at Connect a few years back. it did give the marshals something to do... the official cooking areas were overcrowded and frankly filthy and nasty, though. i just cooked in or outside my tent and was usually done by the time the marshalls got over to me.
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby CunningStunt » 14 Apr 2011, 22:52

Hmm... turning the construction of a cup of Rooibos tea into an outlawed danger sport.
Guerilla tea making!
~You fondle my trigger then you blame my gun~
CunningStunt
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 5 times
Motto: Mrs Baldmosher

Postby rarefog » 15 Apr 2011, 09:54

rarefog
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted in: 5 times

Postby bimblesnapper » 15 Apr 2011, 11:49

lurk wrote:anyone who is fit and able enough to eat two full meals a day at glade is not doing it properly :fear:

I just laughed so hard at this I snorted my guerilla rooibos all over my phone, keyboard and monitor :D

Amen to that brother!
bimblesnapper
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 6 times
Sorted in: 3 times
Motto: Pls yourself -You are a long time dead

Postby kuju » 18 Apr 2011, 16:43

Ello all........ I asked Glade about this on their facebook page. Apparently....and i'd perhaps wait for official word from Glade before getting TOO excited...just in case... but apparently we CAN takle camping stoves but according to the contract they have to be raised at least 10 inches off the ground.

I think that suggests a lack of understanding of how little impact modern camping stoves have on the ground they're on but I suppose it covers those that use older style stoves or things like hexi cookers.

Anyway - it does also suggest we can at least get a decent brew in our pits whilst revving up for the next day's festivalities.

Marvellous.......... Now I know that I am officially slightly :excited: ...... in fact I'm almost aroused by the idea of going.

I probably shouldn't share that in an open forum.......
kuju

Sorted in: 0 time

Postby PaulX » 18 Apr 2011, 17:23

kuju wrote:Ello all........ I asked Glade about this on their facebook page. Apparently....and i'd perhaps wait for official word from Glade before getting TOO excited...just in case... but apparently we CAN takle camping stoves but according to the contract they have to be raised at least 10 inches off the ground.

I hate to disappoint but those sound like the old rules for previous Glades...

See for example glade-festival-2009-faq-t6612.html

I raised the stoves issue with Ans last week and he was a bit concerned about the backlash that was happening, so hopefully there'll be some changes - but for now I'm afraid it's officially still no camping stoves.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

PreviousNext

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)