No camping stoves?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: No camping stoves?

Postby Sterny » 18 Apr 2011, 17:48

That's just what Glade have said on their facebook today;
Glade Festival Ok... It is due to the landowner's request. it is OK to bring stoves but they must be raised, according to the contract, 10 inches off the ground...

Sorted, although How I'm supposed to get it 10" off the ground I don't know!
Listen to my hooves, listen to my hooves!
My Mixcloud
Sterny
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 3 times
Sorted in: 7 times

Postby PaulX » 18 Apr 2011, 17:58

Stern John wrote:That's just what Glade have said on their facebook today;
Glade Festival Ok... It is due to the landowner's request. it is OK to bring stoves but they must be raised, according to the contract, 10 inches off the ground...

Well, lots of people have editorial access to that FB account. That's why you sometimes get stuff direct from Ans and sometimes from one of the various people contracted to do PR for them, who don't always get it right.

The rules have always been that it's supposed to be raised off the ground. If that's all it is about, then people shouldn't worry too much if they're using proper camping stoves - it was people using disposable BBQs on the ground that was really bothering landowners in the post.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby Sterny » 18 Apr 2011, 18:01

Well they can't put out information saying you can bring one and then not allow it!
I'm bringing one anyway and I wont be happy if it gets confiscated!
My Mixcloud
Sterny
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Postby PaulX » 18 Apr 2011, 18:07

Stern John wrote:Well they can't put out information saying you can bring one and then not allow it!
I'm bringing one anyway and I wont be happy if it gets confiscated!

It depends which version of Glade PR you believe, doesn't it?

The official site's FAQ is still saying: "We also won't be able to allow camping stoves as they present a fire hazard when there are so many tents close by. There will be beautiful fire circles though, so please toast marshmallows at your leisure."

Basically the landowner doesn't want holes burned into his fields. So if it's something liable to fall over in a gust of wind, they probably won't let it through (and I'd agree with them on that too).
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby fletcher » 18 Apr 2011, 18:27

PaulX wrote:Basically the landowner doesn't want holes burned into his fields.

This.
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby kuju » 18 Apr 2011, 19:11

Stern John wrote:That's just what Glade have said on their facebook today;

Yep - that was an answer to my question. I see what Paul is saying and until I see some kind of official announcement agreeing with that facebok post i won't take it as gospel. That said whoever did post that apparently went off and checked the facts first.

I think it's absolutely fair enough not to want holes burnt all over your fields....although letting a festival on to the site may generally cause more damage anyway but I guess that's not the point. Getting your stove off the floor is easy enough...athough 10" seems arbitrary to me...a couple of bricks under a stove would do it but wouldn't be 10" off the ground. I'm taking a folding campng table - sorted. To be fair - people shuld be ensuring they don't burn the field anyway!
kuju
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby Sterny » 18 Apr 2011, 19:48

I'd have to try pretty hard to burn holes in the ground with my stove.
Pretty sure I wont be bringing any bricks with me either!
My Mixcloud
Sterny
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Postby siani » 18 Apr 2011, 19:52

PaulX wrote:
kuju wrote:Ello all........ I asked Glade about this on their facebook page. Apparently....and i'd perhaps wait for official word from Glade before getting TOO excited...just in case... but apparently we CAN takle camping stoves but according to the contract they have to be raised at least 10 inches off the ground.

I hate to disappoint but those sound like the old rules for previous Glades...

See for example glade-festival-2009-faq-t6612.html

I raised the stoves issue with Ans last week and he was a bit concerned about the backlash that was happening, so hopefully there'll be some changes - but for now I'm afraid it's officially still no camping stoves.

Fingers crossed it does get modified a bit! It'd be totally sensible to have a no bbqs rule to prevent damage to the ground, I don't think anyone would be annoyed with that, tbh. Bbqs are fucking irritating in the camping area anyways, they tend to smoke you out of your tent.
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby kuju » 18 Apr 2011, 22:12

siani wrote:
PaulX wrote:
I hate to disappoint but those sound like the old rules for previous Glades...

See for example glade-festival-2009-faq-t6612.html

I raised the stoves issue with Ans last week and he was a bit concerned about the backlash that was happening, so hopefully there'll be some changes - but for now I'm afraid it's officially still no camping stoves.

Fingers crossed it does get modified a bit! It'd be totally sensible to have a no bbqs rule to prevent damage to the ground, I don't think anyone would be annoyed with that, tbh. Bbqs are fucking irritating in the camping area anyways, they tend to smoke you out of your tent.

Amen to that.....annoy the crap out of me sometimes....then I get guilt because I feel like a killjoy...then i ge smoked out again and sit there cursing the f*ckers ....guilt....curse....guilt..... its a vicious circle.

SO i drink n stuff and it aaalllllll gets better. Or at least fuzzier :o)
kuju

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby baldmosher » 19 Apr 2011, 13:18

A friend of mine fell asleep in his tent at Beat-Herder whilst warming his curry in a pan atop a lightweight camping stove. They're not very stable. If I hadn't gone over to check on him, and turned it off, he might well have set fire to himself and his tent. I'm pretty sure most people aren't stupid enough to try using a camping stove inside the tent when alone and ridiculously tired. But some people doubtlessly will be. Tent flysheets do burn pretty rapidly and on a windy day with tents in such close proximity, it could be catastrophic. That said, I've never known it to happen so it can't be that probable.

If you're a little bit careful, it's perfectly safe. Those briefcase-style camping stoves are very bulky, but can simply be balanced on top of the case. You can get little fold-away aluminium camping tables for about a tenner, they have 3" legs and very lightweight, so they're fantastic for cooking when the ground isn't very level.

In any case, I'll also be bringing my stove - they can search through our gear and turn us away at the gate if they want, but I won't be at all happy about having to leave compressed gas in the car.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

PreviousNext

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)