Festival weirdness

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Festival weirdness

Postby pinballlizard » 26 Jun 2011, 02:43

Hey Guys

Really enjoyed all the reviews of Glade. I went a couple of times back in the day and have to say it was one of my favorite weekends in the year.

As a frequenter and occasional organizer of raves in the '90's, I loved them for all the reasons that we all love them and when it comes to festivals, I love the creativity and effort that goes into producing the crazy times. A particular highlight for me in recent years was the jukebox that I saw at Bestival which actually had a band inside - they would play covers of a selection of tunes, generally drink and go crazy. Just saw on the coverage of Glastonbury the NYC Downlow reproduction of a 70's East London tenement http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/6/24/1308943327718/The-Block-NYC-Downlow-in--007.jpg. Fucking incredible!

Now I organize festivals in China and I have a big one coming up in September. Just starting to think about the different things I want to have around the grounds and would definitely like to channel the power of the UK raver. Can you help? It would be incredible if you guys could tell me anything that you've seen in the last few years that's blown you away while tripping around the green fields of home. The jukebox at Glade, the dance off, little touches that make the difference.

Big love everyone and thanks!
pinballlizard
Newbie - please be gentle

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Re: Festival weirdness

Postby Five Alive » 26 Jun 2011, 12:07

hey there , welcome to forum !

At Secret Garden Party they had a false wall with an old fashioned fire place . If you crawled through the fire place you would enter a small tunnel . When you popped out the other side you where in a 'Living room' with comfy sofas and and loads of floor standing lamps and pretty lights . A lovely little quite space to hang out , well at least thats what I remember :D
Five Alive
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted in: 2 times

Postby pinballlizard » 27 Jun 2011, 03:08

That is definitely cool and exactly what I mean - reward the curious. Was the fireplace in a tent or something??

x
pinballlizard

Postby sim667 » 27 Jun 2011, 18:29

Have you seen arcadia?
http://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/

and the bassline circus?
http://www.basslinecircus.org/news.html

and the invisible circus?
http://invisiblecircus.co.uk/

secret garden party and boomtown fair photos would be good to look at too ;)

All pretty creative stuff, the top three operate outside of festivals too, as companies, but still good for ideas.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby siani » 27 Jun 2011, 21:04

Granny's Gaff is my absolute FAVOURITE thing from Glade. sometimes you really do just want a nice sit down and a cup of tea at 6am, and being served by a bunch of comedy grannies, who offer you cake by the slice or by the gram makes it PERFECT.
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby pinballlizard » 28 Jun 2011, 14:11

those links are awesome - arcadia's spider is incredible, and I can so imagine the comedy grannies...

Thanks to all for comments - there's some cool shit here!
pinballlizard

Festival weirdness

Postby sim667 » 28 Jun 2011, 16:12

siani wrote:Granny's Gaff is my absolute FAVOURITE thing from Glade. sometimes you really do just want a nice sit down and a cup of tea at 6am, and being served by a bunch of comedy grannies, who offer you cake by the slice or by the gram makes it PERFECT.

My friend helps run that and I have some fucking weird conversations with them grannies whilst waiting for her.

They had this lad last yer at shambala who was like 14 but was a child actor, he was hilarious in character, but a little shit when not in character.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted in: 45 times

Postby bdbamford » 28 Jun 2011, 16:36

indeed the grannies are legends. they do most big festivals.
asking people if they need any help in finding the plot and other antics. Quite a few of my mates are/were grannies and its great catch up with them during the festival.
bdbamford
Here long enough to buy a round
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 4 times
Sorted in: 2 times

Postby ThE99THReDBallooN » 28 Jun 2011, 17:18

What festival is this you are organising in China?
One of my best festival experiences was from glade 2007 with the Kaliedescope Creature (think it was a French company that ran it).
Just came out knackered from my very first BF & was wandering towards ID Spiral when a French guy was waving me over to a small strange slug shaped tent. He hardly spoke any English but just told us to crawl through the small entrance, once inside we were in a small room with a few other confused people. Then two lights lit up two speakers which blasted out Tundra 4 by Squarepusher while 3 of the French guys used mirrors, lasers & lights to make, what looked like, 3d planets in front of us that would shape & contort to the track.
Literally one of the most amazing things i've seen but i've never seen them at any other festival or another glade since... :(
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow, what a ride."
ThE99THReDBallooN
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted in: 12 times
Motto: Embrace Der Hosenbugler

Postby baldmosher » 12 Jul 2011, 21:23

pinballlizard wrote:reward the curious

As a cat lover I totally agree with this sentiment.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Next

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything