First Glade, now Ravetalk to go?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: First Glade, now Ravetalk to go?

Postby siani » 23 Feb 2013, 22:10

Moronik wrote:Darchigan's idea of forums for 'Advice, Events, DJs, Producers, Designers, Venues, Event Reviews and so on' is an excellent one.

i'm all over this, too. great idea.
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby PaulX » 23 Feb 2013, 23:59

siani wrote:
Moronik wrote:Darchigan's idea of forums for 'Advice, Events, DJs, Producers, Designers, Venues, Event Reviews and so on' is an excellent one.

Any suggestions on how to make it stand out from the dozens of forums that already do all of these?

We already do much of this on here. It's not implemented particularly well, granted, but most of it is already here. However, there are many sites that do all of that much better and already have a well-established user base. So... how do we translate this apparent enthusiasm for a more production and "how to" orientated site into "clicks on mouse" and "fingers on touchscreen"?

Excuse my weariness, it's just that I've heard all this "Yeah! Let's do that! I'm in!" for various ideas before, e.g. writing reviews, and then fuck all happens. It would be nice to see people deliver on some of these things for a change. ;)
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby Darchigan » 24 Feb 2013, 05:01

Well focus on the music that this forum loves and possibly turn this site into a social media resource kit for that sort of event.
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby siani » 24 Feb 2013, 09:59

PaulX wrote:
siani wrote:

Any suggestions on how to make it stand out from the dozens of forums that already do all of these?

We already do much of this on here. It's not implemented particularly well, granted, but most of it is already here. However, there are many sites that do all of that much better and already have a well-established user base. So... how do we translate this apparent enthusiasm for a more production and "how to" orientated site into "clicks on mouse" and "fingers on touchscreen"?

Excuse my weariness, it's just that I've heard all this "Yeah! Let's do that! I'm in!" for various ideas before, e.g. writing reviews, and then fuck all happens. It would be nice to see people deliver on some of these things for a change. ;)

well, i originally came here because a mate said that this was *the* place to find out which events were actually fun, and hear about which new music was worth grabbing. most ofthe people who made it those things are still here, it's just gone *quiet*.

i think part of that is actually that you've tried really hard to avoid it becoming a place for free promotions, which is good, but somehow everyone also stopped plugging their local events, and stopped linking their local label's new music.

i think people really want to talk about their experiences, and help people out, but they also REALLY want to tell you about the awesome new thing they are doing. i think the problem is finding a way to integrate those two properly. could you tell people that to get "promoter" status, and be able to post their own events, they have to write a question and answer article ever 6 months or something? offer all artists "promoter" status if they're active on the forum? the basic draw for new forum users is always going to be "this is where the cool kids hang out and talk" really. you just need to get the cool kids talking...

This post by author siani sorted:
Darchigan (24 Feb 2013, 12:10)
Rating: 20%

siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby PaulX » 24 Feb 2013, 15:49

That may account for a few people but the majority of it will be down to Facebook and the fact that the two primary sources of traffic for this website - reliable information about Glade and Bang Face - aren't what they once were here.

The site was built in the very first place around a single event - and it won its audience by endeavouring to obtain the most reliable and authoritative information about Glade at a time when the organisers generally tried to keep everything under their hats.

So the focus on those events has been its very raison d'être throughout its life. A complete change of emphasis towards what I think Darch is proposing, a kind of self-help group for DJs and promoters, within a specific 'scene' (to borrow a term from another thread!)... well, maybe. I remain to be convinced that everyone who signs up to promote their event is quite as public-spirited as you make out. Some might well be, but many others do sign up to as many forums and blogs as they can purely to plug their stuff, with very little regard for the community on here.

So there would definitely need to be mechanisms to stop the latter types abusing our hospitality.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby Beatmonkey » 24 Feb 2013, 23:19

PaulX wrote:Excuse my weariness, it's just that I've heard all this "Yeah! Let's do that! I'm in!" for various ideas before, e.g. writing reviews, and then fuck all happens. It would be nice to see people deliver on some of these things for a change. ;)

I wrote a review once...
Massive hippycrit.

This post by author Beatmonkey sorted:
PaulX (24 Feb 2013, 23:38)
Rating: 20%

Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

First Glade, now Ravetalk to go?

Postby sim667 » 25 Feb 2013, 14:31

I think people will do things, they just need direction.

I was writing reviews for my blog anyway, and if you know I'll do photos :)
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Previous

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)