First Glade, now Ravetalk to go?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Postby PaulX » 08 Feb 2013, 19:55

Now that Glade appears to have bitten the dust, at least for this year, I think this may well be the time to consider giving this website a decent burial. Its two principal Unique Selling Points were the good working relationships with Glade and Bang Face. Glade as we know it appears to be gone for good, even if it survives under new management. Bang Face doesn't want to be too closely associated with a traditional forum because the posts are too permanent in nature, making it more of an issue to get rid of dickhead posts that cause grief for the event, whereas FB is much more transient in nature.

In the absence of any events seriously committed to building up a community here, rather than just having us as another PR opportunity amongst many others, I don't really see much of a future for Ravetalk any more, sorry. It'll stay open for as long as people are willing to pay donations but that pot is looking almost empty at the moment anyway.

I did promise to refund recent donors some of their money on a pro rota basis if the site does go, and I'll honour that, but I've not made a decision either way yet. The main issue isn't money at the moment, as the current hosts are a lot cheaper than the ones we moved from. It's more about whether there is a place for yet another forum on the electronic dance music scene without any particular USPs.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Re: First Glade, now Ravetalk to go?

Postby fletcher » 08 Feb 2013, 21:33

Sad times if this is indeed the end! Been a part of this forum since the very early days. When clubber.co.uk died I moved over to this place and it was very much a part of the glade build-up and feedback experience.

RIP Gladetalk Gladtalk

Long live Ravetalk!
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby PaulX » 08 Feb 2013, 21:38

Happy to keep it going if there are any events seriously committed to building up a community here, rather than just having us as another PR opportunity amongst many others.

I'd be keener on starting up something new though.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby sim667 » 08 Feb 2013, 22:43

If whatever it is that's new is rave related and forumy I'd happily go. But of quite like to stay, I've found out about most if my music and events in the last few years through this place.

But obviously it's your call Paul.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby Darchigan » 09 Feb 2013, 12:25

Could we use this forum to set up a Glade charitable/not for profit trust with the current owners of that brand (hopefully) and then get things moving for Glade at Houghton Hall in 2014, with a couple of Glade club nights beforehand to re-establish the Glade brand . . . that might be a positive way forward but we'd really have to buy into something like that, doing it by halves would be a total waste of time.
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 09 Feb 2013, 12:58

i wouldn't worry... paul has this should i get rid of the forum wobble every 6 months or so :P

This post by author BassBin Terrorizer sorted:
siani (23 Feb 2013, 22:03)
Rating: 20%

BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby pesh » 09 Feb 2013, 15:22

Darchigan wrote:Could we use this forum to set up a Glade charitable/not for profit trust with the current owners of that brand (hopefully) and then get things moving for Glade at Houghton Hall in 2014, with a couple of Glade club nights beforehand to re-establish the Glade brand . . . that might be a positive way forward but we'd really have to buy into something like that, doing it by halves would be a total waste of time.

why is everyone so obsessed with keeping the Glade 'brand' going?

all the original organisers are out, most of the original production crews are no longer involved. the Glade brand doesn't sell enough tickets to cover expenses, SGP proved that last year when they lost £250,000 and the name itself is universally hated by both councils and police forces.

if you want to put on a dance event along the same lines then great, do it, but don't brand it Glade cause it's not Glade. Glade unfortunately is finished.
lets go get sushi, and not pay!
pesh
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 34 times

Postby PaulX » 09 Feb 2013, 17:07

pesh wrote:
Darchigan wrote:Could we use this forum to set up a Glade charitable/not for profit trust with the current owners of that brand (hopefully) and then get things moving for Glade at Houghton Hall in 2014, with a couple of Glade club nights beforehand to re-establish the Glade brand . . . that might be a positive way forward but we'd really have to buy into something like that, doing it by halves would be a total waste of time.

all the original organisers are out, most of the original production crews are no longer involved. the Glade brand doesn't sell enough tickets to cover expenses, SGP proved that last year when they lost £250,000 and the name itself is universally hated by both councils and police forces.

if you want to put on a dance event along the same lines then great, do it, but don't brand it Glade cause it's not Glade. Glade unfortunately is finished.

Innit.

It's had a very good run for a legal event that tried to foster an underground vibe with all the creature comforts of a commercial event, minus the corporate sponsorship. The people who founded it have all moved on in their lives and that's how it should be.

It's probably a bit harsh to say that the brand is universally 'hated', the council and plod at the most recent venue seemed to be fine with it. What matters more is that most of the people who loved it have moved on to other things, e.g. Boomtown, overseas festivals, the dance village and night areas at Glastonbury etc.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby Darchigan » 09 Feb 2013, 19:18

PaulX wrote:
pesh wrote:

Innit.

It's had a very good run for a legal event that tried to foster an underground vibe with all the creature comforts of a commercial event, minus the corporate sponsorship. The people who founded it have all moved on in their lives and that's how it should be.

It's probably a bit harsh to say that the brand is universally 'hated', the council and plod at the most recent venue seemed to be fine with it. What matters more is that most of the people who loved it have moved on to other things, e.g. Boomtown, overseas festivals, the dance village and night areas at Glastonbury etc.

Yep lets focus on the negatives, which becomes a self fulfilling prophesy the more you talk them up, but yes there would have to be a massive ground swell of opinion in favour of an idea like that to make it work . . . but if not Glade surely a big dance event at Houghton Hall would be brilliant?
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby Moronik » 09 Feb 2013, 21:21

PaulX wrote:I'd be keener on starting up something new though.

Perhaps an internet radio station?
Moronik
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 6 times
Sorted in: 6 times
Motto: Music is my Life

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)