Glade Festival licence (NEW VENUE!)

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Glade Festival licence (NEW VENUE!)

Postby manicseagull » 17 May 2011, 01:09

Posting this note because I hate to see people ripped off, and I think that there are some things anyone planning to go to Glade should know.

1) As at tonight Monday 16th May the organisers (EGF Events, or Vigoroso - they changed their name on 9th May) have not got an events licence for Glade. They have made an application to Central Beds Council to hold the event at Old Warden Park, and the application is due to be considered on Wednesday morning this week (if you think that I am just making trouble you can check this with Central Beds on 0300-300-8000).

2) There is considerable uncertainty as to whether the licence will be granted. Local people only became aware of the application on Saturday 13th May, and local parish councils are raising objections. The owners of the site have not given permission for the event and are lodging an objection with the council. They use an agent for site booking and I have a copy of an email in which the agents state that they rejected the site booking on 5th May 2011.

3) On a website I have seen for the 2010 Glade Festival it states that the cancellation of that event was largely due to the police. I have a copy of a press release by Hants Police in which they refute that. In that press release they state that they had been working with the organisers on the event since November the previous year (and they regretted its cancellation), 9 months before the festival date. I have not been in contact with Beds Police, but it seems very unlikely to me that an event application of this sort just weeks before the event is due to take place will not gain their support.

4) Tickets are being sold by SEE Tickets and as far as I can tell they seem to be a reputable company. Their website states that in the event of cancelation punters will get their money back. I hope so, but I have tried contacting SEE head office on the phone number listed in official documents today and been unable to speak with anyone responsible.

5) EGF Events was only incorporated in January this year, and I don't know whether the people behind the company are the same people that organised previous events, but it does seem as though the company was set up specifically to handle Glade 2011.

I am posting this purely in the public interest - I stand to gain nothing from posting it.
Last edited by manicseagull on 18 Oct 2011, 00:45, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Defamatory statement removed. You do know that accusing people of criminal activity without supporting evidence is libel, right?
manicseagull
Newbie - please be gentle
Newbie - please be gentle

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Re: Glade Festival licence

Postby PaulX » 17 May 2011, 01:34

OK, so who are you and why should anyone believe a word you say?

A few points spring to mind from your post above:

* The venue has a permanent outdoor entertainments licence, so why would Glade be applying for a one-off?

* You say Hants Police "refuted" the Glade version of events in their press release - well, they would say that, wouldn't they? :roll: You really don't need to lecture regulars on this website about the ins and outs of last year's cancellation - I'm the guy who made the Freedom of Information request to Hants Police about it after all. The regulars here are quite familiar with the Hants Police side of the story as well as Glade's - and by and large they prefer the Glade's version of events.

* Glade Festival has been running since 2004 (it started out as a stage at Glastonbury Festival and several Glade personnel still have strong ties with Glastonbury) and it is common knowledge that there was a partial buy-out by another established festival organisation last year. It is not some fly-by-night operation, as you seem to be insinuating, and I have had to remove a blatantly defamatory statement from your post. Seriously, I would appreciate you (a) getting your facts right and (b) brushing up on this country's defamation laws.

* Seetickets is very well known to anyone who has attended a major festival or gig in the last decade at least - so the fact that it seemed unknown to you (for the record, it is indeed a reputable company) doesn't exactly enhance your credibility as someone with inside knowledge about this or any other festival.

I appreciate that you probably would prefer to remain anonymous but can you at least come clean about your motives here? You clearly have local knowledge and you've done a bit of homework about the event, although I have to say it was rather superficial and you've jumped to some conclusions for what I would say are very flimsy reasons. You come across to me as a NIMBY who doesn't want a festival in his neighbourhood and is clutching at any straws he can to scupper it. If I'm doing you a disservice here and you're acting out of the purest of motives, then I apologise, but your post really does seem like a hatchet job - and a poorly executed one at that.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 17 May 2011, 02:47

manicseagull do you have any information regardng the license for the chilli fiesta 2011 thats happening in the same location in june? :P
BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby fletcher » 17 May 2011, 07:34

:fear:
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby 0x06 » 17 May 2011, 09:59

manicseagull wrote:I am posting this purely in the public interest - I stand to gain nothing from posting it.

I very seriously doubt this, and I can't work out what your point or motive is, but you obviously have something against the festival and want to seek to defame it in some way.

Shame on you!! :x

Edit: If you have a problem with the festival then take it up with the organisers, don't try and publicly defame them which is an incredibly mean spirited and childish thing to do.
0x06
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted in: 2 times

Postby PaulX » 17 May 2011, 10:46

OK, have heard from Ans and a statement is coming out shortly...
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby PaulX » 17 May 2011, 11:11

OK, here's Ans' statement. Some of you are not going to like this, as it involves yet another change of venue - and this time it's in Norfolk. :?

Basically the Mansion House's trustees overruled the management company about supporting the event - the OP of this thread did get that part right. However, they already have a new venue lined up that has a 24-hour, 365-day music events licence.

Dear All…

Last week I got back to work, having taken some time off to get married the weekend before, to find that the proverbial had hit the fan.

Our site pulled out.

BUT… IT IS NOT OVER

WE HAVE ANOTHER SITE… GLADE WILL GO ON…. AS PROMISED…

The trustees at the Mansion House decided that they didn’t want the event after all, despite contracts signed and deposits paid. The new Glade team decided not to tell me so that it wouldn’t ruin my big day and what they have done, amazingly, is manage to miraculously find another venue. All last week we’ve been madly busy sorting this all out…

OUR NEW VENUE

Privately owned by a very lovely man called the Marquis of Cholmondeley. Not only is he is a star, he has no one to answer to – so no one can pull the plug at the last minute. He welcomes the Glade Festival AND he has said this for the record:

“We are delighted to be hosting The Glade festival at Houghton Hall this summer. This is a new event for Houghton but something that we think will work well in the beautiful and historic Park. We welcome the new management team who come highly recommended, we know are renowned in the industry and have an outstanding portfolio of events. We are excited to see what they do with The Glade and look forward to working with them.”

The ideal venue for the Glade is one that is beautiful, has TREES, enough space, is far from local housing and has good access. Houghton Hall in Norfolk, the new and definite venue, has all these things in abundance. And to top it off, it has the BEST LICENSE WE COULD EVER HOPE FOR….

This gives us loads of scope for the future. Perhaps we can look forward to having an event like those in parts of mainland Europe and further afield, but here on our native soil. This is a site that we can really grow in to. It is beautiful, and is owned by the most understanding gentleman we could have asked for.

It is in Norfolk; about 2 hours from London. This we know is not ideal but it is a damn sight closer than Portugal or Germany! It also happens to be one of the UKs driest areas.

So we hope you will stick with us and continue to support The Glade and all it stands for. We can’t wait to host the BEST PARTY OF THE SUMMER, and we’re looking forward to seeing all your smiling faces on the dance floor…

Thanks, see you in the field….

Ans – Glade Director

We understand that for some, this change in venue is a big pain and will have ruined travel plans. If you have been affected and need our help, please don’t hesitate to email info@gladefestival.com and one of the team will be in touch ASAP.

We have set up a car share initiative HERE

The postcode for Houghton Hall is PE31 6UE
For complete travel information, please check the website
The nearest station is King’s Lynn and we will be running a shuttle bus between the station and the Hall

Other than this rather major change, the festival remains exactly the same – our best line up and most stunning décor is unaffected. We can’t wait for you to experience it.

DON’T MISS THIS – THIS IS THE GLADE…
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Errr, new venue AGAIN?!

Postby pre-s-ton » 17 May 2011, 11:23

i shit you not, we have another venue change!! haha, getting pretty silly now!!

http://www.gladefestival.com/html/
We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind.
Cos your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, then they're no friends of mine.

http://www.last.fm/user/pre-s-ton
pre-s-ton
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted in: 0 time
Motto: Glade - the welcoming scent of home.

Re: Errr, new venue AGAIN?!

Postby PaulX » 17 May 2011, 11:25

pre-s-ton wrote:i shit you not, we have another venue change!! haha, getting pretty silly now!!

http://www.gladefestival.com/html/

Yup, see above (threads merged). ;)
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby demetzy » 17 May 2011, 11:29

This is so weird!!

So many changes- it might put some people off and booking travel could be a nightmare (driving there so not too bad for me)

So the NIMBY guy was kind of right. It doesn't matter to me that much where in the UK it is (except far north and scotland) but all these sudden changes make a girl nervous :(
demetzy
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 16 times
Sorted in: 6 times

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)