Alternatives to Glade

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Alternatives to Glade

Postby Dave Skywalker » 04 Feb 2013, 12:47

*split from the Glade 2013 thread*

sim667 wrote:Shambala has a very very good lost child policy in place, and there's a massive onus on making it a child freindly festival. A good freind of mine took his 3 month old and 4 year old last year (he'd taken the four year old once previously), and granted they stayed in a hotel but were very impressed with the facilities for changing babies and bottle heating etc and the kids area. The four year old had a brilliant.

Cheers for the heads up, just had a look at their website and it looks great tbh. Now we've got the little'un, it'd be good to know what festivals there are that still have a decent music lineup but at the same time are family friendly. Shambala looks like it hits the spot perfectly, and it's only 40 mins or so from us. Any idea if they allow you to come on/off site on a daily basis (would be easier than camping!).
By the time you've read this message it's too late to stop reading it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Skyw ... 8010427836
http://www.daveskywalker.com
Dave Skywalker
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 19 times
Motto: He knows just how much it is tweed boy.

Re: Glade 2013

Postby Beatmonkey » 04 Feb 2013, 19:39

Dave Skywalker wrote:
sim667 wrote:Shambala has a very very good lost child policy in place, and there's a massive onus on making it a child freindly festival. A good freind of mine took his 3 month old and 4 year old last year (he'd taken the four year old once previously), and granted they stayed in a hotel but were very impressed with the facilities for changing babies and bottle heating etc and the kids area. The four year old had a brilliant.

Cheers for the heads up, just had a look at their website and it looks great tbh. Now we've got the little'un, it'd be good to know what festivals there are that still have a decent music lineup but at the same time are family friendly. Shambala looks like it hits the spot perfectly, and it's only 40 mins or so from us. Any idea if they allow you to come on/off site on a daily basis (would be easier than camping!).

They do. Are generally pretty help full on their facebook page from what I've seen if you've got any in depth questions. I've super loved it all 3 times I've been, the balance between chilled days and hectic nights is pretty good.
Massive hippycrit.
Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

Postby jimran » 04 Feb 2013, 20:52

Dave Skywalker wrote:

yeah i had to nip off a couple of times at last years and had no problem. Market Harborough (sp?) is aboot 2 mins drive away i know some people use for accommodation rather than camping.
paranoia saves lives...
jimran
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 3 times
Motto: skankenstein

Glade 2013

Postby sim667 » 04 Feb 2013, 22:02

Dave Skywalker wrote:

It's great. Very laid back although it was a little more having it last year but still really chilled out and nice. Luke viberts set was brill last year. I think either secret or the other related production company (horse something or other) were involved last year hence more things staying open later.

There's one real dance tent called kamikaze and a little thing in the wood. The woods are lovely, kids only in the day and adults only at night.

If you go don't forget the fancy dress parade around the site on Sunday, it's wicked and so many people make a real effort so the kids love it.

This set really epitomised the 'feel' of the festival after 2010

http://soundcloud.com/lyndonlarge/inspi ... mbala-2010

And the rum punch at the beach bar is banging ;)
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby Jake Burns » 04 Feb 2013, 22:17

sim667 wrote:I think either secret or the other related production company (horse something or other) were involved last year hence more things staying open later.

There's one real dance tent called kamikaze and a little thing in the wood. The woods are lovely, kids only in the day and adults only at night.

If you go don't forget the fancy dress parade around the site on Sunday, it's wicked and so many people make a real effort so the kids love it.

Big up shambala :)

Though I pretty sure SGP have got nothing to with it - its still pretty much done in house (though i think SGP & Bestival have borrowed a few ideas...). The festival has grown steadily over the last decade. It used to be mainly bristol/sheffield/brum - but they did a bit of promo last year as i think they lost cash the year before - so it was bit more mixed last year - still a lovely crowd though.

The fancy dress is probably the best fancy dress parade you'll get anywhere - people do really make an effort (its saturday tea time though -s o dont miss it!). We were the security/door staff last year if anyone came across our "red carpet/door"

Kamakazee is the only big dance tent - but there's loads of little tents playing a massive selection of music dotted around and going on till very late. which is one of the many things that makes it so good (we as well as all the random shit, workshops, amiable vibe etc)

so.. buy a ticket!!

:)
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted in: 10 times

Postby Dave Skywalker » 05 Feb 2013, 11:07

I'm pretty much sold on it ;) We may well hold off for a couple years as Jack is just coming up for 2 so he might still be a bit young for it. Plus Shazza will have finished her level 5 reflexology/anatomy/physiology course in August so she's intending on asking them if they need any reflexologists in 2014 as she'll be one of the highest trained people in the country ;) Plus, she LOVES dressing up, haha!

Cheers though for all the info. Looking forward to it already :)
By the time you've read this message it's too late to stop reading it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Skyw ... 8010427836
http://www.daveskywalker.com

This post by author Dave Skywalker sorted:
sim667 (05 Feb 2013, 21:23)
Rating: 20%

Dave Skywalker
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 19 times
Motto: He knows just how much it is tweed boy.

Glade replacement

Postby tuftyjohn » 06 Feb 2013, 19:14

looks like glade has disappeared into the ether so looking for festivals with a decent dance stage and good atmosphere...
candidates so far include pearl,boomtown,symmetry or underground festival....
any other suggestions welcome as i need my fix of sounds this year... :)
tuftyjohn
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted in: 1 time

Re: Glade replacement

Postby fletcher » 06 Feb 2013, 20:21

Eastern Electrics are at Knebworth this year, with a decent underground house / techno lineup over 3 days. Hopefully not too commercial a venture given the line-up they have assembled. Looks pretty ace actually.
http://www.easternelectrics.com/lineup/full-lineup

*edit*
Obviously not a replacement for Glade. I don't think anything could replace Glade. But some things must be able to come close in their respective genres....
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby tuftyjohn » 06 Feb 2013, 20:40

Cheers for the info...not heard of that one before but worth looking into
tuftyjohn

Sorted in: 1 time

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 06 Feb 2013, 20:50

There's the pearl festival in kent this year as a new starter, shame it's only pie trance :(
BassBin Terrorizer

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)