How was the festival for you all?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Wow

Postby bimblesnapper » 18 Jun 2012, 13:13

Just wow.

Absolutely hilarious time had by all in our party. Meteor stage was off the scale and absolutely inspired.
Hats off to the Glade Team for putting on the greatest show on earth and thank you to all the amazing people we met again who make this festival what it is.
I have no words <3
bimblesnapper
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 6 times
Sorted in: 3 times
Motto: Pls yourself -You are a long time dead

How was the festival for you all?

Postby Jake Burns » 18 Jun 2012, 13:15

I had a great time.. thought the new lay out was ace - the woods bit worked really well as did the site as a whole. The weather held (sort of) and it was a nice crowd (though sure the organisers would have liked a few more - i hope it didnt do too badly). This year was a bit weird as the usual big crew of us who go down was much diminished (due to people having kids and generally getting a life) - but still enough for a party & I bumped into a few faces from the past as well. Oddly the music didnt really grab me this year, maybe it was the weather, who knows - but definitely more bimbling than dancing... but that didnt really matter too much.

One suggestion for the organisers though - please get people on the gates sorting tickets who know what they are doing - there was a big queue getting in on fri night that turned out just to be because the girls on the gate were sketchy as fuck (though very pretty.. which may not have been unconnected to why they were employed) - anyway - minor gripe as the rest of the w/e seemed to go very smoothly

:)
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Re: Wow

Postby pbasonuk » 18 Jun 2012, 13:44

I have been going to festivals, legal and illegal since 1990, this was by far the best one I have ever been to.

Absolutely amazing time had by everyone.
http://www.soundcloud.com/paul-coyles

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
pbasonuk
Part of the furniture already

Sorted in: 0 time

Re: How was the festival for you all?

Postby djscooter » 18 Jun 2012, 14:48

I thought glade this year was excellent, and probably even better than the last two (which I enjoyed loads anyway!).
The woods were incredible, a really great feature that gave the whole festival an extra dimension of space and somewhere to explore.

Positives:
The woods, especially the opening of the meteor stage on the thursday night - a real sense of euphoria! I loved the flying saucer, and the lights were amazing.
the general layout - I liked it loads - considering that most of that field last year was empty, I thought it was great, essentially a playground for ravers! :D plus, the campsite worked well, but why oh why did they have to have some generator/truck (whatever) making a real din each morning?! I;m aware however that this might have been the truck arriving to clean the toilets, which I have to say this year were really clean and not at all traumatic! :D
The sun shining through the trees at the liquid stage on the friday afternoon - magical!
Origin stage decor - fantastic! this is how a psytrance stage should look! :D Although there weren't any lasers aka 2008 style, I thought the lights were beautiful, and the lights moving up and down over the central psy"tree" canopy in the middle looked excellent, and the soundsystem was spot on!
Seeing the sun emerge on the Friday afternoon at origin, and then the stars at night!
Meeting Raja Ram on the Saturday afternoon - a really nice, sorted, genuine guy, really nice to talk to.
Random conversations with people at inspiral
The weather! despite the rain on the thursday night, I thought the weather was great - loads of sunshine, and the high winds kept the dark clouds moving along nicely!
The big wheel!
Kite flying in the afternoon
Making friends with the sniffer dog!!!!
The devil and the pope dancing at origin
The mancunian guy i spoke to at inspiral who had brought his 17 year old nephew to the glade - uncle was a real character, who hadn't been to such an event for 12 years - he'd been to sankeys, cream, the orbit etc back in the day and was a really sorted guy to talk to!

Negatives (these are by no way a critisism of the organisers, more about some individual people and random events):
Having three different groups of tent thieves come in to my tent on the Thursday evening - having gone to bed early because of a cold, thankfully I was actually in my tent when they broke in (complete with torches!!) and they gave it legs as soon as I sat up and challenged them - I'm sorry, but this really disgruntled me and I even thought about leaving glade early (having been a regular since 2005!). Whoever these people were, they should be ashamed. As a friend said to me via text on the Friday morning, tent thieves are in direct contrast to the whole dance/trance positive culture of live and let live, and such people make for a horrible, unrelaxed atmosphere.......booo!!!!!! Eliminate them!!! The girl next to me had her sleeping bag stolen too......come on, get a life! Get a job, sort yourselves out!
Not being let in with my panasonic bridge camera - apparently it was a "professional" camera - ridiculous! I ended up smuggling it in anyway.
Seeing some guy completely trip out on something (K or acid probably) on the Saturday night at the glade stage - I've never heard such a terrified, helpless scream, and to then see him collapse on the floor was simply awful.....to think that somebody basically experienced a complete hell state at glade is awful and I wish I could have helped.......

Think thats probably all the negatives dealt with, and I think there were many more positives! :D
This isn't really a negative, but I thought that inspiral wasn't quite as magical as it has been for the past few years - last year for example it looked beautiful, complete with a wooden buddha figure, lotus-style white projection screens, and inspiral scultpures outside.....nevertheless, it attracted some really nice people to talk to, and the cafe next door was excellent (although the girl who served me didn't know who to make a black coffee!!! (forgiven!!)

I think that's all for the time being - I hope everyone else enjoyed it! :D
djscooter
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted in: 0 time

Postby wascal » 18 Jun 2012, 15:22

djscooter wrote:The woods, especially the opening of the meteor stage on the thursday night - a real sense of euphoria! I loved the flying saucer, and the lights were amazing.

The Meteor stage was supposed to open at 3pm Thursday but in the end they were still building it until 9pm, so I ended up being the first person to play on it (which was a bonus after driving for 5 hours, putting up a tent in 5 mins flat and basically running to the stage lol) . I'll never forget watching that place go from totally empty to completely rammed as I dropped my intro tune. Good times :D

I thought the whole setup in the forest was amazing and I enjoyed loads of stuff in Overkill too. Daedelus completely smashed it on Sunday night and the Mutant Bass takeover on friday afternoon was a good laugh. Didn't see any hassle and managed to avoid tent thieves due to crew camping. Probably the most fun I've had at a festival since mid 90s Glastonbury's imo.
wascal

Sorted in: 2 times

Postby tuftyjohn » 18 Jun 2012, 15:25

just some quick opions of my own.
Thought the layout this year was really goodwith plenty to look at in little nooks and crannys.
for the first time i didnt see tent theives but i was obviously very lucky from other reports.
the crowds were definatley down this year so the atmosphere wasnt as thrilling as ive seen it,hopefully this wont put the glade in jepordy through insufficient funds.
the weather was much better than some years,very short bursts of rain and a strong wind on sat but most of the tents seem to hold and at some stages it was actually HOT.....shirts off time....
the one crib i did have ,and it seems to have been a common opinon ,was that the music on many stages was a bit pedestrian.No real driving sounds from any where and i was continually on the move,on friday night i felt as though it was cloing/run down time as there was nothing to grab me.On sat it was slightly better although it was probably my (enhanced) state of mind.
security seemed a lot better and less aggresive than last year and the friendly atmosphere won out (as always).
all in all a good weekend and long may it continue......
tuftyjohn

Sorted in: 1 time

Postby Jake Burns » 18 Jun 2012, 15:33

tuftyjohn wrote:the one crib i did have ,and it seems to have been a common opinon ,was that the music on many stages was a bit pedestrian.No real driving sounds from any where and i was continually on the move

I'm glad it wasnt just me - though I much prefer daytime at festivals - never a big fan of night time - you lose everyone and the music is never quite what you're after - I always spend the whole time getting restless and moving onto the next stage!

Did anyone catch the Twisted Sound System on fri night on the Origin stage? I'd just arrived, set up tent and dragged everyone over to Origin and then spent the rest of set assuring people Simon Posford was usually far better than this....
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Postby PaulX » 18 Jun 2012, 15:48

Wow, I've only just got through the door just now, so for now I'm just going to say that was the best festival I've been to in YEARS! And to think I was considering bailing like a pussy because of the weather forecasts (which turned out to be wrong). :D

This is the first I've heard of any tent thefts. Nobody we knew or met mentioned anything - can somebody give an idea of scale? :unsure:

Will post my own list of positives and negatives later. In the meantime, props to Jake for being the first to start a post-Glade feedback thread. :cool:
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby Jake Burns » 18 Jun 2012, 15:54

PaulX wrote: In the meantime, props to Jake for being the first to start a post-Glade feedback thread. :cool:

Thanks - but its only due to (for the first time in all the Glades i've been to) having to leave on the Sunday afternoon.. :(
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Postby fletcher » 18 Jun 2012, 15:57

Had a really great weekend. Thursday night was spent exploring the beautiful site (missed the ravetalk meetup, they would not let any more people into Meteor, boo!) we ended up dancing to some psy-trance in the punch tent, followed by hip hop in some other cafe.

So many fun times - overwhelmingly positive from me that I will write up into my full review. A few highlights were:-
Crabbing!
Breakcore at the meteor Saturday afternoon
Dillinja absolutely smashed the Overkill saturday night
The layout of the site - to me it did not even feel like the same venue as last year, a magical place to explore.
The weather (mostly!)
The crowd - lovely glade people

Negatives
The gales and storms on Friday afternoon caused our gazebo to collapse onto 2 of our tents. Gazebo could not be repaired but at least we saved the tents and the flag for campsite location.
Overkill mostly felt like "underkill" to me - was simply not savage enough. Went in there Sunday afternoon about 5pm, and there must have only been about 10 people wobbling to some guy playing really minimal chilled dubstep.

PS
Hi Paul! We did not hear of any tent thefts either. No reports from down our end of the site, although we did see 3 blokes trying to jump the fence near the folly tower but the security guards saw them and chased them off.
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)