Memorable adverts

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Memorable adverts

Postby PaulX » 28 Sep 2008, 12:00

This thread is about old adverts - good or bad - that you can remember for whatever reason, preferably ones that can be found on YouTube etc so we can have a look. I find that seeing these old ads again, like hearing an old tune, can often whisk your mind back to what you were doing around the time it was running.

Please don't just post a list, that's really boring. Please say something about why these ads stand out for you, what memories they evoke etc.

I'll start us off with this one, most people in their mid-20s or over should remember it. It's the one where that rarest of creatures at the time, a scouser with a job, shares this valuable insight about his job filling the NatWest cash machines: "A bit like a photocopier, except the paper's more expensive." :D

uk.youtube.com Video from : uk.youtube.com

It was one of a whole series of ads that were designed to portray NatWest as a bank with a 'human' face. The production values of this one were very high for a TV ad, I thought, the shots of Liverpool at night are beautiful. The one thing that puzzles me is that the YouTube thread says it was from 1991, but I could swear this was out in the very late 80s. That girl's awful hairstyle was from around that time anyway.

Also, note how many people are working in the back of the bank branch compared to nowadays.

Despite the cheesiness, I do think there's a certain charm to this particular ad, although it rightly got the piss taken out of it by Baddiel and Newman for that last line: "Of course we do. It's not all work, work, work!" :roll:
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Re: Memorable adverts

Postby A-Rob » 28 Sep 2008, 13:05

good one :D
A-Rob
Here long enough to buy a round
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby missmorbid » 28 Sep 2008, 13:47

Oh what a brilliant idea. I can find a few good 'uns.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I remember there being a few different versions of this, but it was the first one I found. Some photos recently surfaced of a friend of mine dressed up in the Del Monte man's attire and I seem to be the only person who made the link.

This one got a lot of people trying to play pringle cans... don't deny it, you did it too!

This is my favorite, it's so cool and timeless. It stuck with me all these years.

I can't remember if I bought this Barbie but hours of watching Nickelodeon engrained in into my mind.

Every one remembers this one, its some what of a staple of advert history.

Again, probably only relative to those of my generation like the Barbie ad, but this advert was amazing as a child, and caused tantrums whenever the Toys R Us logo became apparent on a city scape.

And the old sentimental ad, which made everybody associate the sweets with old people.
Last edited by missmorbid on 28 Sep 2008, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds - Albert Einstein
missmorbid
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Postby PaulX » 28 Sep 2008, 14:15

I thought those Werthers Originals ads associated sweets with paedophiles. :fear:

PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby SunburnedCactus » 28 Sep 2008, 14:37

The man from Del Monte... says MAYBE
SunburnedCactus
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Postby PaulX » 28 Sep 2008, 15:21

This one for Blackcurrant Tango in 1996 is just bloody mental. Many consider it "the greatest advert ever". It has won awards for its sheer technical brilliance (i.e. the seamless integration of scenes to make it look like one continuous take). It also got into trouble for its tongue-in-cheek Sun-style taunting of the French. But it's also memorable for the soundtrack (Felix - Don't You want Me), a time when trance ruled the roost and hadn't yet gone totally shit.

PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby xkejjer » 29 Sep 2008, 09:19

football fans who remember usa 94 were surely, like me, impressed by this
xkejjer
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Postby baldmosher » 30 Sep 2008, 14:48

I learned all the words to Um Bongo from when I was a nipper, and then they re-ran the adverts a couple of years ago and I was rather impressed that I had remembered them all perfectly!

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo a hippo took an apricot a guava and a mango he stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango the rhino said I know, we'll call it Um Bongo!
Um Bongo Um Bongo they drink it in the Congo
The python picekd thepassion fruit the marmoset the mandarin the parrot painted packets that the whole caboodle landed in so when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle they all prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

I'm always accused of copying & pasting that but I just love writing it freehand :D my band played it live once, which was funny.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby wooly_sammoth » 30 Sep 2008, 15:40

My favouritest advert ever has to be the old finger of fudge job for no other reason than I still randomly find myself singing

"A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat"

normally when I'm queing in shops or other public places.

By the looks I normally get I'm not entirely sure that I sing loud enough for those around me to hear all the words.

:oops:
wooly_sammoth
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Postby pesh » 01 Oct 2008, 02:12

Sperge wrote:This one for Blackcurrant Tango in 1996 is just bloody mental.

definitely the best British advert ever, with the possible exception of the John West salmon one, but good trance tune?
is that even trance?
* feels old, young and just confuzzled *
lets go get sushi, and not pay!
pesh
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 5 times
Sorted in: 34 times

Next

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything