Like just about any other forum, we have a few rules.
The short version is "don't be a dick".
The longer version (including a few guidelines) is as follows:
1) Remember the "golden rule" - treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. Basically, be nice. Conversely, if you behave like a complete cock, you can expect to be treated like one.
2) Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how stupid it may be.
If someone posts something you strongly disagree with, please remember to attack the argument and not the person. And if you really don't get on with someone, you can always add them to your "foes list" in your User Control Panel so that their posts are no longer visible to you.
3) THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISING SERVICE! We welcome event flyers - but only in the Promotional subforum. If you are too lazy to read rules or too arrogant to respect them, then your advert will be moved or deleted and you may be put on moderation, i.e. your posts will only appear if a moderator approves them.
We may come to special arrangements with some members to allow them to post announcements in more prominent areas - that is entirely at our discretion. Posting on Ravetalk is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege can be taken away if you abuse it.
4) Credit where credit's due. If you find something on another site that quite obviously originated there, we expect you to credit that site. Likewise, it's only fair that you tell people you found information on our site if you post it elsewhere.
5) Nothing illegal on the boards please. That includes discussing your acquisition of things that might be illegal. That's for your protection as much as ours. Remember anyone can read these boards, including people with agendas that may be very different to your own.
5a) Although we allow intelligent discussion of the drug laws and the pharmacological effects of various substances, please note that we don't allow posts that incriminate events or other people. If you're daft enough to incriminate yourself, that's your problem. And if you post messages of the "wahey, I take shitloads of drugs me, I'm so cool" variety, you can expect to be treated like the knobhead that you are.
5b) Some people are accessing the board from work. Please show some consideration by making sure any content that could cause them problems, e.g. pornographic or other inappropriate images, is hidden behind a link saying "not work safe".
6) Off-topic posts. Obviously this depends on the type of thread. Taking some threads off-topic and flying off at tangents is all part of the fun of being on messageboards of course. But use a bit of common sense please. Threads which a lot of people may find useful (e.g. confirmed artists threads etc) are best kept on-topic. As a general rule of thumb, if a thread is "stickied" or an Announcement, please keep it on-topic, otherwise we might regard your post as attention-seeking and move or delete it.
6a) THE SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND! It's right there at the top of every page. Please use it to check that something hasn't already been asked.
6b) Moderators may move, lock or even delete a post or entire thread as they see fit. You actually accepted that they had the right to do so when you registered on the board (it's in the small print you were supposed to read when you clicked to join). Obviously there will be times when a moderator action might not have made sense to you, so by all means query a change by pm-ing the mods, we don't bite (unless you ask nicely ). Please do not open new threads or hijack existing ones in order to resume a closed discussion, as this is the fast track to reduced posting privileges.
7) Ravetalk is not officially connected to any of the events that we host forums for. It is an independent website.
8 ) Please remember that individuals are responsible for their own posts and it isn't humanly possible for us to be present at all times to spot objectionable content. If you see any content that you think shouldn't be on the board, please report it to the moderators using the Report Button (the "exclamation mark in a triangle" icon at the top of every post) and we'll deal with it as quickly as we can.
9) If you don't like these rules, please DON'T SIGN UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! Saves us all a bit of time then.
And now for the small print...
This board may contain nuts. This site is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunities site. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Wash hands after use. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Contents may settle during transit. May cause drowsiness - Do not drive or operate machinery while reading. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. No user-serviceable parts inside. Best before date shown on packet. Subject to change without notice. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Wet paint. Wash dark colours separately. For office use only. Breaking seal invalidates warranty. Store in a cool dark place. No stamp needed. Details correct at time of posting. No responsibility accepted for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Do not write below this line. Lost tickets charged at daily rate. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Just add water. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of the dog. Call now to claim your prize. No purchase necessary. Colours may fade. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from naked flames. Some equipment shown is optional. Serving suggestion. Prices shown do not include VAT. Contains small parts - Not suitable for children under 3 years old. No food or drink allowed. Driver does not carry cash. Do not fold or staple. Actual colour may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends or my cat. Don't quote me on that, I'll deny I said it. All rights reserved. Terms are subject to change without notice. Parental advisory - Explicit lyrics. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Hand wash only. Tumble dry on low heat. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. No exchanges or refunds. For a limited time only. Smoking prohibited. Quantities are limited while stock last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorised service centre. Read at your own risk. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable. Keep away from direct sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limited to one application per household. Interest free - Nothing to pay for 12 months. No purchase necessary. Some assembly required. Instructions supplied. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Wear safety goggles during use. Do not read if safety seal is broken. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling occurs, discontinue reading. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a magnetic source. Smoking this website could damage your health. No added sugar. If you have got this far reading this, you're a very sick puppy! If ingested, do not induce vomiting. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Allow 28 days for delivery. This does not affect your statutory rights. Other restrictions may apply. I think that just about covers it.