Stupid licence restrictions - let's do something!

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Re: Stupid licence restrictions - let's do something!

Postby fletcher » 15 Aug 2013, 21:20

It is very sad that the majority of breaking news stories on this website are bad news for the clubbing / dance music world :(

I really do take my hat off to anyone wanting to try and promote an electronic music related festival in the UK - unless you have a massive wad of cash and a legal team behind you (ie/ Global gathering, SW4, creamfields etc...), it sounds like a complete ball ache.

Sad times for waveform, looked like such a great festival and I know people who have attended in the past have had a great time there. Its not just about the music, its also about learning, culture and leading a green lifestyle and they are certainly trying something new.
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby fletcher » 15 Aug 2013, 21:34

One way I can see that an event can help secure its future is get funding / backing from local businesses or institutions. Maybe not always obvious that a company might want to be seen helping out an "ALL NIGHT TRANCE RAVE" I hear you ask, but it certainly is one thing to think about.

For example....

http://www.cowleyroadcarnival.co.uk/
The Cowley Road Carnival in Oxford have managed to secure BMW and Oxford University as funding / supporting partners and the future looks bright for them, it is now possible to party in the streets of Oxford to a booming F1 rig :)

Not the same as corporate sponsorship I might add; which I know is something that the likes of Glade and (possibly) Waveform are keen to avoid. But backing from local groups must surely be a way to help develop a festival within the community. Same as how Glastonbury always gets local Choirs / brass bands involved yeah?
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby PaulX » 15 Aug 2013, 22:25

Bear in mind that the underlying reason for Glade's commitment to "no corporate sponsorship" was that they wanted to create this space where people could forget the logos and marketing for a weekend and just enjoy the collective vibe of the party.

In other words, the exact opposite to this:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Anyway, getting back on topic, any more suggestions for a campaign name? :unsure:
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby djdoublezero » 16 Aug 2013, 12:53

reckon the only way anyone will listen is by slapping them in the face with their dumb decisions. Think it's a class issue really. Nice 'safe' , middle class festivals like Bestival and Glasto are okay but nasty festies with their 'boom, boom, boom' music aren't okay. BTW anyone see the Daily fail's attempt to slander Boomtown?

The most effective way to deal with this would be to complain about every outdoor event going (outdoor classical stuff, farmers markets anything) inundate them with complaints until nobody can go to anything then ppl might understand how ridiculous this is.

I dunno it's just a suggestion.
djdoublezero
Technical Consultant
Technical Consultant

Sorted out: 59 times
Sorted in: 22 times
Motto: Raw To Tha Core

Postby sim667 » 16 Aug 2013, 15:40

djdoublezero wrote: BTW anyone see the Daily fail's attempt to slander Boomtown?

No? The article about the death?

I like IMBY, tis a good name.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby PaulX » 16 Aug 2013, 16:15

sim667 wrote:
djdoublezero wrote: BTW anyone see the Daily fail's attempt to slander Boomtown?

It's nice and short - but what puts me off is that it needs too much explanation. Something like Save Our Festivals is way too boring though.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby djdoublezero » 16 Aug 2013, 17:03

sim667 wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Love the way the 'facts' of the article are based on twitter comments by morons.

Course Glasto/Bestival have deaths and no-one really complains cos they are 'good' festivals. twats.
djdoublezero
Technical Consultant
Technical Consultant

Sorted out: 59 times
Sorted in: 22 times
Motto: Raw To Tha Core

Postby sim667 » 16 Aug 2013, 17:43

djdoublezero wrote:
sim667 wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Love the way the 'facts' of the article are based on twitter comments by morons.

Course Glasto/Bestival have deaths and no-one really complains cos they are 'good' festivals. twats.

Ah yeah that is the one I read.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby doogla » 16 Aug 2013, 22:17

Daily Mail has Boomtown headline acts as Mystery Jets, Maximo Park and Julian Marley wtf?!?! Not the same Boomtown I was at....

This post by author doogla sorted: 2
sim667 (19 Aug 2013, 20:22) • ThE99THReDBallooN (24 Aug 2013, 22:07)
Rating: 40%

doogla
Newbie - please be gentle

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 2 times

Postby Shredder » 22 Aug 2013, 16:10

djscooter wrote:This is sad news indeed for waveform. I wonder if the pearl festival organisers had similar issues at Houghton, or is Houghton a pretty unique site in terms of noise restrictions etc? I wonder if waveform could team up with pearl, in a similar way to sunrise with bigchill a few years ago? I feel very sorry for the waveform crew and all the festival goers.....

I went to Glade there a few years ago, their first time at Houghton Hall, and I think Overkill was the quietest I have ever heard it.

Perhaps not actually, I remember hearing Hellfish, well not really being able to hear Hellfish a few years prior to that because it was so ridiculously quiet.

Pearl has cancelled now too anyway. :(
Shredder

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything