Thank you and goodbye - Ravetalk forums closing down

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Thank you and goodbye - Ravetalk forums closing down

Postby PaulX » 19 Mar 2014, 17:30

I'm sorry to announce that I've decided to close the Ravetalk forums, at least for the time being. It's been in terminal decline for the past couple of years, as have many similar web forums.

Part of the reason for that is simply the way that we all use the web has changed so much over the past few years. We all tend to rely far more on social media, myself included, and it's much more of an effort to go to old-fashioned sites like this one. Another reason is that events which the forum was linked to, perhaps a little too closely for its own good, have either gone to ground themselves or chosen to rely more on social media to market themselves.

But the biggest reason of all is that my heart simply hasn't been in it for the past few years. If it had, maybe I would have actually put some of those big ideas to revive the forum into action. My bad. :oops:

I did make a pledge during the last round of donations that I would give pro rata refunds to anyone who had donated within 12 months prior to closure. As far as I'm aware, it's a year and a half since anyone last donated, so I don't believe I have any obligations on that front, although please get in touch if you think I've overlooked a recent donation.

It would be nice if people could give the forums a good send-off, so please post your farewells if the forum ever meant anything to you. Any stories of friendships you made through the site, how it changed your life, favourite threads etc would all be welcome.

Thank you and goodnight. :)
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Re: Thank you and goodbye - Ravetalk forums closing down

Postby hippydex1 » 19 Mar 2014, 20:32

Thank you and goodbye. Sorry that it went tits up. Peace and love to you and yours. :thup:
There's no business like no business.
hippydex1
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 2 times
Sorted in: 2 times
Motto: Cogito ergo summat...

Postby siani » 19 Mar 2014, 21:11

i'll miss you Ravetalk!! :cry:
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby RichardsTime » 19 Mar 2014, 21:15

I had a couple of really good discussions about Global Warming and Facebook when I used the darchigan nickname, recently I've been more interested in exploring Northolt's almost dead pub scene because I've been missing drunken meaningful conversations and face to face friendships rather than getting to know people on facebook or ravetalk for that matter and yes there are still one or two local places that are worth hanging out in so that means a lot less online chating.

I still think that the forum style set up is better for constructive discussions that you can actually look up, find and join in with rather than the rambling disorganised chats that you get on facebook but with facebook you get a whole lot of other features and with social networking users like a one stop shop with all of the content pouring into their profile so that users don't have to leave facebook and then log on in to something like ravetalk.

That for me is a more convincing reason for this forum's decline because when threads were followed enthusiastically on here the contributions were often brilliant :)
RichardsTime
Part of the furniture already

Sorted out: 3 times
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby demetzy » 20 Mar 2014, 09:21

Bye bye ravetalk xxx

I will miss you and because of you I got to make some great friends
demetzy
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 16 times
Sorted in: 6 times

Postby Jake Burns » 20 Mar 2014, 21:36

Thanks for the work on the forum over the years - its been good to chat/gossip/speculate about the Glade & spin off festivals with like minded souls.. I never did quite make the Glade meets up - though to be fair I think I was probably DJing and providing the soundtrack to at least one of them on thurs night in the ID spiral...

au revoir

:)
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Postby quilbichilb » 21 Mar 2014, 00:07

Even though this is probably the first time I've logged into this forum for about four years, I'm sad to hear it closing down, it's the end of a good era. I never posted much, but back in the Glade days I checked this site on a daily basis for line-up confirmations and rumours, it really was an indispensible source of info back then.
I'm sort of surprised at the lack of comments appearing on this thread, I thought all the old regulars at least would have had more to say. I suppose like me they drifted off to social media sites for their info and chat, disappointing but that's just the direction the internet has moved in and this forum closing is a reflection of that rather than Ravetalk itself.
Thanks Paul for all the work you've put in over the years, the forum might be gone but the rave will go on!
quilbichilb

Sorted out: 0 time
Motto: i want to do a poo in pauls bathroom

Postby curd » 21 Mar 2014, 10:08

Thanks for all the work Paul!

I loved getting on here and feeling part of the community. Sad to see it go, but such is the way of the world...
I've gotten to know this place thanks to BangFace, is I don't get often get to visit the other venues/fests, being abroad and all :)

Happy sailings to all of you, we'll meet again ;)
curd

Sorted out: 8 times
Sorted in: 5 times

Postby RichardsTime » 22 Mar 2014, 22:34

I just so much hope that there will be another bangface weekender ?
RichardsTime

Sorted out: 3 times

Postby ferg » 23 Mar 2014, 17:16

Hasta la vista ravey!
ferg
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 4 times