Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby siani » 20 Jun 2011, 19:50

Beatmonkey wrote:http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

If you buy any other tent then that you're an idiot. You can fit 3 double airbeds and still having living/storage space. Then you get the advantage of it being canvas instead of a sweaty plastic bag. A bit heavier to carry around but the advantages so outweigh the disadvantages.


teepee style tents are rubbish. the pole gets in the way of doing anything inside, and they are really low around the edges so if you sit near the walls you get a wet head. and they are shit in wind. and canvas leaks.

and you can get a 3 bedroom + living space dome style tent for about £120, which has enough space for your three double beds (each in its own room) and still has a huge open living area with no one sleeping in it.
User avatar
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 27 Jul 2008, 20:56
Location: Brighton
Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Jake Burns » 20 Jun 2011, 20:11

I bumped into a lad I knew who was doing the trike trolley things fetching artists & boutique campers stuff - and he said the boutique camping area was pretty busy - so there's obviously a big market for it...

I reckon they should get a gabba rig up there just to give the full festival experience!

BTW Did anyone catch a glimpse of the super duper mega caravan with 3 x dbl bedrooms & living room that was on the boutique camping website for £3600 for the w/e? Just curious to know what it was like & if anyone stayed in it (though for that money you could all stay in a five star hotel and be chauffeured back & forward at whim)
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal
 
Posts: 183
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 20:36
Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Five Alive » 20 Jun 2011, 20:30

siani wrote:
Beatmonkey wrote:http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

If you buy any other tent then that you're an idiot. You can fit 3 double airbeds and still having living/storage space. Then you get the advantage of it being canvas instead of a sweaty plastic bag. A bit heavier to carry around but the advantages so outweigh the disadvantages.


teepee style tents are rubbish. the pole gets in the way of doing anything inside, and they are really low around the edges so if you sit near the walls you get a wet head. and they are shit in wind. and canvas leaks.

and you can get a 3 bedroom + living space dome style tent for about £120, which has enough space for your three double beds (each in its own room) and still has a huge open living area with no one sleeping in it.


Do you speak from experience ? Because I have to say that isn't my experience at all - Had mine for 6 years and have done 25 + festivals with it and its still going strong - never ever had a problem with it leaking , getting a wet head :? and its probably been the best ever tent i've had for standing up to strong wind conditions. Absolute piece of piss to put up too ! + you get the advantage of rolling the side up if it gets really hot turning it into canopy and letting the cool breeze blow through . Fucking awesome tents if you ask me :)
User avatar
Five Alive
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 570
Joined: 22 Jul 2008, 11:54
Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 2 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby siani » 20 Jun 2011, 22:32

Five Alive wrote:Do you speak from experience ? Because I have to say that isn't my experience at all - Had mine for 6 years and have done 25 + festivals with it and its still going strong - never ever had a problem with it leaking , getting a wet head :? and its probably been the best ever tent i've had for standing up to strong wind conditions. Absolute piece of piss to put up too ! + you get the advantage of rolling the side up if it gets really hot turning it into canopy and letting the cool breeze blow through . Fucking awesome tents if you ask me :)


yep, some of my mates dumped a bunch of money on them a couple of years back. we still ended up all sitting in my £90 San Remo 400 dome thingy, and the teepee got christened "the seepy teepee".
i'm sure they are a huge upgrade over a 2 man triangle shaped tent, or a tunnel tent (those things really suck at wind), but (in my experience) they compare really unfavourably with a modern family dome tent. of course, i do consider "having bedrooms" in an advantage, which others may not, and like having the ability to let light in without letting wind and rain in, and so on. YMMV.
User avatar
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 27 Jul 2008, 20:56
Location: Brighton
Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Calla » 20 Jun 2011, 22:45

I like having a porch (i know it's not a porch but I dont know what else you would call it). The tent gets to messy with everything in it but if you've got a porch you can just throw everything outside.
User avatar
Calla
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: 18 Jul 2006, 12:33
Location: Southsea
Sorted out: 19 times
Sorted in: 16 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Beatmonkey » 20 Jun 2011, 23:59

siani wrote:
Five Alive wrote:Do you speak from experience ? Because I have to say that isn't my experience at all - Had mine for 6 years and have done 25 + festivals with it and its still going strong - never ever had a problem with it leaking , getting a wet head :? and its probably been the best ever tent i've had for standing up to strong wind conditions. Absolute piece of piss to put up too ! + you get the advantage of rolling the side up if it gets really hot turning it into canopy and letting the cool breeze blow through . Fucking awesome tents if you ask me :)


yep, some of my mates dumped a bunch of money on them a couple of years back. we still ended up all sitting in my £90 San Remo 400 dome thingy, and the teepee got christened "the seepy teepee".
i'm sure they are a huge upgrade over a 2 man triangle shaped tent, or a tunnel tent (those things really suck at wind), but (in my experience) they compare really unfavourably with a modern family dome tent. of course, i do consider "having bedrooms" in an advantage, which others may not, and like having the ability to let light in without letting wind and rain in, and so on. YMMV.


A geodesic dome structure beats all of course. But I've had the pleasure of sharing Mr Alive's bell tent on probably about 10-15 of those festivals and also have not struggled with any of your complaints. I have friends with dome style tents with central porch and two wings. Nice, but nowhere near as nice as bell tent.

What with this and the walking boot vs welly conundrum I think we need to have some kind of competition about the best way to survive at a muddy festival. I would suggest glasto this weekend as it looks like it's going to be hellish. Unfortunately I'm lacking a ticket :(
Massive hippycrit.
User avatar
Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: 16 Apr 2007, 02:45
Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Calla » 21 Jun 2011, 07:53

Definately wellies every time. Boots get too heavy.
User avatar
Calla
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: 18 Jul 2006, 12:33
Location: Southsea
Sorted out: 19 times
Sorted in: 16 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby baldmosher » 21 Jun 2011, 09:28

Heavy canvas is loads better for ventilation and keeping the sunlight out, ideal for a hot festie, but that's absolutely the only advantage over a polyester tent.

Conversely, there's a hundred reasons why polyester tents are better than canvas. The main one being the massive weight of canvas, which increases threefold after a drenching, but a decent poly tent with steel poles will be heavy. Another one being the separate fly & inner, which helps with water resistance, plus the 100% watertightness that comes from having a sewn in groundsheet (if you don't pay £120 for a cheap one :P). And the good (£200+) tents will have superb ventilation and will even be a bit better at keeping the sunlight out as the flysheet will be a bit denser.

Calla wrote:Definately wellies every time. Boots get too heavy.

:? My walking boots weigh less than my wellies, don't make sores in my calves and shins, and don't get sucked off in deep mud (oo-er!) but I must admit they're not much use in six inches of water. Thankfully I don't tend to go wading in ponds at festivals.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
User avatar
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 4370
Joined: 20 Apr 2006, 13:07
Location: Manchester, UK
Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby Five Alive » 21 Jun 2011, 10:58

baldmosher wrote:Heavy canvas is loads better for ventilation and keeping the sunlight out, ideal for a hot festie, but that's absolutely the only advantage over a polyester tent.
.


Nah - I'd have to disagree - I'm pretty sure they are also warmer when it's really cold. I'm also a big big fan of their simplicity , One pole and the pegs - Super easy to put - and easy to replace parts if they break. I'll grant you that they are a bit heavy to lug into a festival but on the flip side that makes them super super durable . I honestly can't see a polyester tent standing up to the beating my bell tent has taken over the last 6 years .
User avatar
Five Alive
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 570
Joined: 22 Jul 2008, 11:54
Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 2 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby baldmosher » 21 Jun 2011, 15:07

I'll show you ours in 4 years and you can judge properly ;)
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
User avatar
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk
 
Posts: 4370
Joined: 20 Apr 2006, 13:07
Location: Manchester, UK
Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

PreviousNext

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron