Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

Postby Darchigan » 16 Jun 2011, 18:06

I'm trying to persaude a couple of friends who I go out with to go to Glade next year and they don't like camping so I've suggested that if they want to go they should hire a Yurt (does or will Glade do them ?) and stay in the Boutique area.

The problem that I can see with this idea is that the Boutique camping area is quite close to the Origin stage and I could hear that stage in the car park so it must be even louder in the Boutique camping area.... does anyone know if that was a problem this year ?
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Re: Was sound a problem in the boutique camping area ?

Postby baldmosher » 17 Jun 2011, 14:06

Only if they tend to like sleeping from 11am to midnight and don't own earplugs.

IMO the real downside with the yurts / boutique camping is that you'll probably be camped away from most of your friends. Half the fun of a festival is creating your own little home from home / afterparty venue by arranging your tents around a shitty gazebo / tarp structure and trying to operate some kind of quick-fire QC on gatecrashers... Of course, if you don't go to Glade with a big group, that's totally irrelevant, and indeed, the yurts are almost certainly more secure than if you were camped near a load of people you don't know.

They're very profitable indeed (no way does it possibly cost anything like £600 to put a yurt on a field for a weekend) and they're booked and paid for in advance, so I can't see they'll ever go away unless Glade loses all its middle class charm. There appeared to be a LOT of yurts there this year although I didn't see it from the air.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby imitationleather » 17 Jun 2011, 14:17

I had mates in the campervan field and there it was like being stood directly infront of Origin, the sound coming from it was so loud and clear.

I hate the whole idea of boutique camping and how it represents one of the ways festivals are changing (for the worse, but of course only imo). But each to their own and if it gets the festival more much-needed funding then fair enough I guess...
imitationleather
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby Darchigan » 17 Jun 2011, 19:48

imitationleather wrote:I had mates in the campervan field and there it was like being stood directly infront of Origin, the sound coming from it was so loud and clear.

Thanks... I've just had a chat with one of my friends and I've told them not to even think about the boutique camping, "if you want to go to Glade just buy some really decent camping gear and I'll help you to put your tent up." As mosher has pointed out the camp life is something that is not to be missed.
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby Calla » 19 Jun 2011, 20:49

Part of the fun for me is the challenge of putting a tent up half drunk without any instructions.
Calla
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 19 times
Sorted in: 16 times

Postby siani » 19 Jun 2011, 21:58

baldmosher wrote:Only if they tend to like sleeping from 11am to midnight and don't own earplugs.

IMO the real downside with the yurts / boutique camping is that you'll probably be camped away from most of your friends. Half the fun of a festival is creating your own little home from home / afterparty venue by arranging your tents around a shitty gazebo / tarp structure and trying to operate some kind of quick-fire QC on gatecrashers...

THIS

Of course, if you don't go to Glade with a big group, that's totally irrelevant, and indeed, the yurts are almost certainly more secure than if you were camped near a load of people you don't know.

tbh, when i go to a festival without a huge group, i like to introduce myself to all my neighbours and make friends. if i've got the huge tent i invite them to come and hang out, and i offer to lend them duct tape, and headache pills, and plasters and all the useful crap that people forget. it's more than once stopped strangers going into my tent, as the neighbours spotted them and said something. and i like getting to make new friends. :)
siani
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 36 times
Sorted in: 17 times
Motto: i am far too short to ever grow up

Postby baldmosher » 20 Jun 2011, 10:37

Aye siani, that's the best approach. Even the annoying ones make decent guard dogs once you get them onside.

If you're going to a festival as a couple or a small group, or even if (as with us in 2009) you don't drive so simply can't carry much gear but hate roughing it, and of course if you can afford the cost, then it does make a lot more sense to go boutique... other people do boutique too, so you won't be totally isolated. That said......

Darchigan, I'd not actually thought of the economics of it like that... for the £500 ish cost of hiring a boutique bell tent type thing for 4 people for one weekend, you could buy a fucking amazing sturdy 4-6 man tent (IMO Outwell are generally the best quality, but we bought a Wild Country Halo 43... steel frames are very heavy, but IMO essential for stability in high winds and therefore longevity if you go camping a lot), a couple of good chairs, loads of really good camping gear, and a decent hand cart to carry it all across the site. You could probably even tip some wreckhead £20 and get him to pull it for you, and still come out in profit. And if you spend wisely, it'll all last you at least 50 camping trips. Our tent has already done almost 20 and aside from a tear on the front door storm flap (a schoolboy error from our first trip, d'oh) you'd never know it had done more than two trips, and it's still totally waterproof. Good tents do need maintenance and ours is due a wash and a reproof (Nikwax do water-based solutions for both, costing about £5/litre on Amazon) this summer.

Do visit at least a couple of camping warehouse showrooms to see what's available... GoOutdoors and Outdoor World aren't a bad place to start but almost every large town has at least one of these.
baldmosher™
YOU FUCKING CAN'T SIT DOWN NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND FUCKING AVE IT YOU SOFT COCKS
Darkstep mix Baldy Behaved Volume 4: Dark Phase | other random mixes: baldmosher.com
baldmosher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 43 times
Sorted in: 11 times
Motto: G to tha Lade.

Postby Beatmonkey » 20 Jun 2011, 11:45

http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?mai ... ducts_id=3

If you buy any other tent then that you're an idiot. You can fit 3 double airbeds and still having living/storage space. Then you get the advantage of it being canvas instead of a sweaty plastic bag. A bit heavier to carry around but the advantages so outweigh the disadvantages.
Massive hippycrit.
Beatmonkey
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 11 times
Sorted in: 8 times

Postby Pilly Wonka » 20 Jun 2011, 14:03

Bring a duvet to lie on and one to lie under. Comfy
Pilly Wonka
Here long enough to buy a round
Here long enough to buy a round

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Postby Calla » 20 Jun 2011, 19:08

Or just stay awake for the first three nights. You'll sleep no problem by the fourth night if you do this. Plus you wont miss anything.
Calla
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 19 times
Sorted in: 16 times

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)