So what does a good underground festival need ?

Random bollocks, geek chic, highbrow debate, pretentious tosh. You'll find it all on a good day.

Re: So what does a good underground festival need ?

Postby Darchigan » 15 Jan 2013, 00:16

The design of stages, spectacles, fun ideas and visuals are important because they establish the identity and character of an event but surely doing that mustn't undermine the viability of the festival itself?

Of course I was astonished by the Meteor stage, it was a brilliant piece of work but my short visit was made special by Mary Miss Fairy, some odd ska band and the crowd dancing in front of the Origin stage on a warm Sunday evening and from a personnel point of view its things like that that keep me spending on festivals.
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby fletcher » 16 Jan 2013, 19:51

Good underground music! Not just bedroom DJs that only uber-geeks have heard of, but the up and coming producers mixed with some of the old guard. Some headliners can be a complete let down (a few from past festivals certainly spring to mind), and other bands / djs discovered at random times of the afternoon tend to end up being personal highlights when the vibes / crowds are right.

Good rigs, good sound engineers.
There is nothing worse than spending out on a festival and not being able to be completely immersed in good quality sound. And i'm not neccesarily just talking about it being LOUD, it also needs to be clear. Stupidly bass heavy rigs or screaming high ends are a complete head fuck, and can be just as bad as being too quiet (imo).

Less is more. Boasting 16 stages and covering every sub-genre under the sun is not always a winner. You end up with half filled tents and people walking around between stages rather than settling down. If I use Glade as an example, I believe it started off with 7 arenas and covered a few genre's very well. I would rather see one packed tent going off all day / night than 3 tents sparesely populated. Although I guess boasting more stages / having more acts has the potential to sell more tickets....

Focus From the outset, the focus of the party needs to be made clear. Get people on board from the initial announcement, and let social media spread the idea as well as your advertising. From day 1, people need to know that your throwing the years best skullmashstepjazzcore festival in Worcestershire, and rather than leaking details bit by bit (which IMO usually means that they are not finalised yet) give people the information early so that they can make the call, organise friends and get the tickets purchased..... before money gets spent elsewhere!

This post by author fletcher sorted: 2
Darchigan (16 Jan 2013, 20:27) • sim667 (17 Jan 2013, 20:19)
Rating: 40%

fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby sim667 » 17 Jan 2013, 20:20

A properly loyal following is something that money cant buy, I like BFW for the hard crew just as much as the acts tbf.

This post by author sim667 sorted: 2
BassBin Terrorizer (17 Jan 2013, 21:05) • fletcher (20 Jan 2013, 14:33)
Rating: 40%

sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby Darchigan » 17 Jan 2013, 20:59

sim667 wrote:A properly loyal following is something that money cant buy, I like BFW for the hard crew just as much as the acts tbf.

Agreed me too :)
I'm off, Goodbye :)
Darchigan
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 75 times
Sorted in: 9 times

Postby fletcher » 20 Jan 2013, 14:34

sim667 wrote:A properly loyal following is something that money cant buy, I like BFW for the hard crew just as much as the acts tbf.

And how do you keep a loyal following?

Consistency, staying true to your origins and maintaining your love for putting on the party (imo)

This post by author fletcher sorted:
Darchigan (20 Jan 2013, 15:08)
Rating: 20%

fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby sim667 » 20 Jan 2013, 17:02

fletcher wrote:

And how do you keep a loyal following?

Consistency, staying true to your origins and maintaining your love for putting on the party (imo)

But it still has to keep up with the changing times as your followings interests develop and change.

Never underestimate the power of getting advice/suggestions of the people that buy your tickets

That's my opinion, it's not like I've got a wealth if experience running stuff haha, I couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel tbf
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Previous

Return to Life, the Universe and Everything