What is Glade?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

What is Glade?

Postby MariI » 29 Dec 2008, 23:48

***split from "Who should play Glade 2009?"***

What is Glade 2009?? I've not been there before, I hope its a hardcore rave all the way on drum and bass!!! Can anyone give me the lowdown on this event please??????? :) :) :)
Last edited by MariI on 18 Oct 2011, 00:29, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: split to keep "Who should play Glade 09?" on-topic
MariI
Part of the furniture already

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 0 time

Re: What is Glade?

Postby jcbass » 30 Dec 2008, 11:09

by MariI on Yesterday, 23:48

What is Glade 2009?? I've not been there before, I hope its a hardcore rave all the way on drum and bass!!! Can anyone give me the lowdown on this event please???????

Don’t get your hopes up about lots of drum n bass. The two years i have been the only drum n bass was Andy c on main stage, who was rubbish and moaned and then finished early. And then last year friction played main stage. They only ever seem to have one full on drum n bass act per year. Although you will hear some drum n bass in various other sets you’re not going to get it all night long. Pendulum also played main stage last year but they are just circus music not real drum n bass. If you want a drum n bass festival go to innovation in Spain, 1) Its warmer 2) you get proper accommodation (no one likes waking up in a sweaty tent anyway) 3) Its reasonably cheap considering its 3days, in 3 big clubs and with proper accommodation and allot of big dj's. 4) Hardcore beats host a breaks stage there which is just as banging.
jcbass
Here long enough to buy a round

Postby PaulX » 30 Dec 2008, 18:46

MariI wrote:What is Glade 2009?? I've not been there before, I hope its a hardcore rave all the way on drum and bass!!! Can anyone give me the lowdown on this event please??????? :) :) :)

Welcome MariI! We used to have a post called "What is the Glade?" to explain some of the history but I couldn't find it just now. :oops:

The Glade Festival is an electronic dance music festival that has been running every year since 2004. It's run by the same people who run the Glade Stage and Dance Village at Glastonbury Festival. The organisers pride themselves on the non-corporate vibe (there's no sponsorship logos at all) and the genres are mainly psy-trance, breaks, dubstep, techno, breakcore, IDM, ambient and house.

But here's the catch for you. Like jcbass says above, there is hardly any drum&bass, usually only one or two token acts such as Zinc, Andy C or (would you believe?) Pendulum. This is unlikely to change - the organisers have very strong views about the d&b vibe being incompatible with Glade's and that's that.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby MariI » 30 Dec 2008, 20:53

jcbass wrote:
by MariI on Yesterday, 23:48

What is Glade 2009?? I've not been there before, I hope its a hardcore rave all the way on drum and bass!!! Can anyone give me the lowdown on this event please???????

Don’t get your hopes up about lots of drum n bass. The two years i have been the only drum n bass was Andy c on main stage, who was rubbish and moaned and then finished early. And then last year friction played main stage. They only ever seem to have one full on drum n bass act per year. Although you will hear some drum n bass in various other sets you’re not going to get it all night long. Pendulum also played main stage last year but they are just circus music not real drum n bass. If you want a drum n bass festival go to innovation in Spain, 1) Its warmer 2) you get proper accommodation (no one likes waking up in a sweaty tent anyway) 3) Its reasonably cheap considering its 3days, in 3 big clubs and with proper accommodation and allot of big dj's. 4) Hardcore beats host a breaks stage there which is just as banging.

Really?? Well thanks for all your help... I think I'll give it a miss.. I'm obssessed with drum and bass at the moment... Fabric in London on Fridays definitly lives up to hardcore drum and bass !!! Innovation in Spain sounds amazing though, the hot weather is a definite plus. Do you know if they have a website or any upcoming events at the moment?????? :) :) :)
MariI

Postby MariI » 30 Dec 2008, 20:56

Sperge wrote:
MariI wrote:What is Glade 2009?? I've not been there before, I hope its a hardcore rave all the way on drum and bass!!! Can anyone give me the lowdown on this event please??????? :) :) :)

Welcome MariI! We used to have a post called "What is the Glade?" to explain some of the history but I couldn't find it just now. :oops:

The Glade Festival is an electronic dance music festival that has been running every year since 2004. It's run by the same people who run the Glade Stage and Dance Village at Glastonbury Festival. The organisers pride themselves on the non-corporate vibe (there's no sponsorship logos at all) and the genres are mainly psy-trance, breaks, dubstep, techno, breakcore, IDM, ambient and house.

But here's the catch for you. Like jcbass says above, there is hardly any drum&bass, usually only one or two token acts such as Zinc, Andy C or (would you believe?) Pendulum. This is unlikely to change - the organisers have very strong views about the d&b vibe being incompatible with Glade's and that's that.

Hi!! Thanks for your help... I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed, but there is always Bangface: Bring on the Clowns and The Weekender to look forward to and of course Fabric on Fridays never fails to impress. I think I'll give Glade a miss though.
Thanks anyway!!!! :D :) :)
MariI

Postby jcbass » 31 Dec 2008, 09:57

Really?? Well thanks for all your help... I think I'll give it a miss.. I'm obssessed with drum and bass at the moment... Fabric in London on Fridays definitly lives up to hardcore drum and bass !!! Innovation in Spain sounds amazing though, the hot weather is a definite plus. Do you know if they have a website or any upcoming events at the moment??????

Dont think there is much news on innovation 2009 yet, it was in amsterdam for 2008 i believe but think they are moving back to spain for 2009. Have a look in the drum n bass arena forums for news, just search innovation. There are so many better nights than fabric fridays, simply because they are in better run clubs and with less goons. Although there is a really good night there on jan 9th where hospital records are hosting main room. Glade is still not a festival to be missed whether you love drum n bass or not. Its probably the best in the uk for dance music and the crowd make it even better.
jcbass

Postby A-Rob » 01 Jan 2009, 21:21

jcbass wrote: Glade is still not a festival to be missed whether you love drum n bass or not. Its probably the best in the uk for dance music and the crowd make it even better.

Spot on!!

The Glade is not only about the music, it has a special feel you won't find anywhere else
A-Rob

Postby MariI » 01 Jan 2009, 23:45

Dont think there is much news on innovation 2009 yet, it was in amsterdam for 2008 i believe but think they are moving back to spain for 2009. Have a look in the drum n bass arena forums for news, just search innovation. There are so many better nights than fabric fridays, simply because they are in better run clubs and with less goons. Although there is a really good night there on jan 9th where hospital records are hosting main room. Glade is still not a festival to be missed whether you love drum n bass or not. Its probably the best in the uk for dance music and the crowd make it even better.

Yeah I heard Hospitality Takeover at Fabric should be really good, although I'm torn because BangFace - Bring on the clowns is on the same day :( What other clubs would you recommend that are better than Fabric, I've been to SeOne and Egg and they don't compare to Fabric... I'm still not sure about Glade though, its hard to find info on it on the net like location ect...
MariI

Postby PaulX » 03 Jan 2009, 05:29

MariI wrote:I'm still not sure about Glade though, its hard to find info on it on the net like location ect...

Well, we are the Number One unofficial source for info about Glade, if I don't mind saying so myself. ;) A lot of important revelations about Glade have appeared here first (just check the dates and times on most of the big stories to see for yourself). This site started out as GladeTalk, it was originally dedicated purely to the Glade Festival and I still chat directly to the organisers from time to time, especially Nick and Ans. There's an old article here about the 2007 event - but note that it's still evolving and Glade 2009 will have significant differences.

I'll put up a new FAQ for Glade 2009 as soon as I've got all the board maintenance stuff out of the way. The reason you're not getting any information on the location is that Glade is moving. It was at Wasing Estate, near Aldermaston, since 2004 - but they're looking for a new venue and they are not disclosing exactly where yet, apart from it being "in the south of England". As soon as there is info to give you on that, we'll give it to you. In the meantime, have a browse through the News pages and click on the 'Categories' links for Glade 2009 and Glade 2008.

A lot of information will also appear on the official Glade site when they're ready - their official PR machine is really good these days and this was one of the reasons why I diversified this site away from being purely a Glade board. But we still get lots of Glade news 'scoops' here first. ;)

As people have said, drum & bass is one of the event's weak points - but it has totally the friendliest and most havin' it vibe of all the big UK dance music festivals.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby yohankiwi » 03 Jan 2009, 17:19

Sperge wrote:As people have said, drum & bass is one of the event's weak points

nah, i'd personally say its one of the events strong points :D
yohankiwi