What year was your favourite Glade?

Glade Festival is Britain's biggest and best non-corporate electronic dance music festival, with a proper havin' it vibe. Now based at a stately home in Norfolk.

What year was your favourite Glade?

Postby Jake Burns » 18 Feb 2013, 11:29

It seems as good a time as ever to have some nostalgia.. what was your fave Glade & why?

I can never quite decide between 2004 & 2005.

2004 - just because no one could quite believe there was a festival like it happening in the UK. It felt like that old cliche - a big well organised free party.

2005 - I don't think i've ever known as many people at a festival, the sun shone and it was like being abroad - it had got bigger but not as big as the next year (where it was bit too hectic and the security were very heavy handed)

I did really enjoy last year as well - despite it being obvious there was not enough folk there to pay the bills - it had a great atmosphere - which, as Russ Abbott knows, is what you need at a party.

Least fave Glade? I wasn't too keen on 2006, too hectic and shocking security and the one at Mapperly Bowl was a bit soulless

In between Glades - the muddy one was the best of times & the worst of times, 2008 was quiet but I quite liked it and the first one at the new site was good but a bit weirdly spread out

What were yours?
Jake Burns
Party Animal
Party Animal

Sorted out: 0 time
Sorted in: 10 times

Re: What year was your favourite Glade?

Postby PaulX » 18 Feb 2013, 12:46

Same as you, except I didn't have the privilege of attending 2004.

I did get to 2005, lots of sunshine, amazing vibe and a strong community feel.

I agree that 2006 was a bit hectic and the security were heavy-handed. It was a little too hot that year too. :o

Some people say 2007 was their favourite, precisely because so many people rallied round to make the best of an appalling situation. If I remember rightly, the organisers actually wanted to cancel the event but were told it wasn't safe to evacuate the site!

The later ones have been a bit more "Meh" for me overall but each year has had its highlights.
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Postby dannybee » 18 Feb 2013, 14:28

I loved 2005. I could not believe the lineup at the time. The weather was beautiful and it felt like the best cross section of people I had ever witnessed in one place. Without sounding too cliche. It was life affirming and gave me hope in humanity.

Now where is my time machine.... :)
dannybee
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted in: 2 times

Postby demetzy » 18 Feb 2013, 16:18

2006 loved it hot hot hot!!! 2005 was amazing too. I did not like matterly bowl for various reasons. Last year the music was pants so not as good. 2011 was fun. Will remember mud year forever
demetzy
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 16 times
Sorted in: 6 times

Postby SoloStrike » 18 Feb 2013, 20:48

2005, probably the best festival I've ever been to. Was amazing, lots of happy memories. 2006 was great too, mud year was just completely unforgettable and was quite fun in a "oh God, this is horrible so let's get as fucked as possible" way
SoloStrike
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 1 time

Postby fletcher » 19 Feb 2013, 13:40

2005. Immense line-up, immense weather, fantastic crowd and the whole festival was completely different to anything I had ever been too before (Global, Creamfields etc....)
Life-changing in the world of festivals for sure! As met loads of people who I had the pleasure of camping with every year at Glade afterwards.

2007. The mud year was incredible, the strongest memories from any Glade I have been too. Immense lols, "dunkirk" spirit comradery and the party went OFF. Getting home from a flooded festival to an equally flooded village in Oxfordshire was a nightmare but something that will live with me forever!

2012 was very good too, new venue was settling in, the forest was a great addition. Its just a shame the British public did not (could not?) afford to back up the ideas.

Its probably safe to say Early Glade > Later Glade > Middle Glade
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Postby Sterny » 19 Feb 2013, 20:08

2006 was way too hot for me. I had come straight off the plane from 2 weeks in Greece and it was noticeably hotter at Glade! Spent most of the weekend seeking shade! Music and atmosphere was the best I've ever experienced at any festival.
I think I'm in a very small minority who loved Matterley Bowl, considering it was a new site they did a great job with the layout and managed to bring as much of the old spirit from Wassing as they could.
The parking, drop off and security arrangements were awful though.
For me they never managed to recreate the old magic since then, despite clearly trying last year.
RIP Glade
Listen to my hooves, listen to my hooves!
My Mixcloud
Sterny
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 3 times
Sorted in: 7 times

Postby BassBin Terrorizer » 19 Feb 2013, 20:15

Each year was special in their own way! Being the first punter into the first glade back in 04 does have stick in my mind though lol
BassBin Terrorizer
Too tight to get five stars ;-)
Too tight to get five stars ;-)

Sorted out: 45 times
Sorted in: 28 times
Motto: Just 1 segment of the dance music orange

Postby Calla » 20 Feb 2013, 00:04

I forget what happened in what year. Except 2007.
Calla
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 19 times
Sorted in: 16 times

Postby lahmjpowder » 20 Feb 2013, 05:16

Calla wrote:I forget what happened in what year. Except 2007.

Why? what happened in 2007?

Personally I had a cracker in 08. Dont remeber any acts I saw but met alot of lovely folk and the weather was sublime
lahmjpowder
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Next

Return to Glade Festival 2013 (archive)