Write for Ravetalk!

Find out who we are and what we're about - and introduce yourself too! Plus tech support and guides to using the board etc.

Write for Ravetalk!

Postby PaulX » 23 May 2011, 13:02

I'd like to encourage more people to write for the site. That includes reviews and previews of events, "how-to" articles about music production, reviews of tunes and equipment etc. Casiokerry, who some of you might know on this site, is now very keen on contributing editorially and it would be good if others let me know if they are up for it too.

Ravetalk has a lively forum community and the news pages on the front end of the site attract a lot of traffic too. But there's only so much I can do as a "one man band". It would really help the site grow if more people were contributing to the news and features pages.

I can't offer any cold hard cash right now - but you will at least get your byline and retain your copyright. You will also have the benefit of editorial guidance from someone who has had more than 15 years of experience in journalism, including 10 at a major national news organisation (although I'm a tad less active there now). So writing for Ravetalk should certainly be a good platform to help people trying to break into the media.

I will also be trying to source tunes and music equipment for reviews. Generally speaking, you get to keep the products you review, so that'll be a nice little bonus for you too. That's not always the case, but it happens more often than not.

Of course I'd also like to hear from photographers, video producers, illustrators and so on. I've put out an appeal for contributors before and had some interest without really getting anywhere. But this time I'll give it a proper push, especially now that I'm starting to use social media properly to help publicise the site.

At this stage, can you put your name to this thread and say what contributions you would be interested in doing and what experience you have (doesn't matter if you have none).

Anyone fancy writing a review of the latest Bang Face Weekender (which could include BFTV items) to kick us off? I've had one excellent contribution from Casiokerry that will be going up shortly - but more would be welcome. Maybe someone would like to pen the ultimate guide to Glade Festival too? :unsure:
Top one. Nice one. Get sorted.
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Sorted out: 46 times
Sorted in: 63 times
Motto: Mostly harmless

Re: Write for Ravetalk!

Postby djdoublezero » 23 May 2011, 13:49

i can review tunes/films/DJ equipment, used to do that quite a bit.

Could also write event reviews of anything I go to.

DZ
djdoublezero
Technical Consultant
Technical Consultant

Sorted out: 59 times
Sorted in: 22 times
Motto: Raw To Tha Core

Write for Ravetalk!

Postby sim667 » 23 May 2011, 13:54

Did u see the post I made about this in the bfw improvements thread??
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 34 times
Sorted in: 45 times

Postby PaulX » 23 May 2011, 13:56

sim667 wrote:Did u see the post I made about this in the bfw improvements thread??

I have now - I'll move it across here in a moment, using the magic of moderator tools. ;)
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby sim667 » 23 May 2011, 13:58

PaulX wrote:

One thing I'm much more interested in at the moment, incidentally, is encouraging more people to write for the site. That includes reviews and previews of events, "how-to" articles about music production, reviews of tunes and equipment etc. Casiokerry, who some of you might know on this site, is now very keen on contributing editorially and it would be good if others let me know if they are up for it too.

I wouldn't mid contributing if you want people to. Obviously techy wise Ive got no musical skills whatsoever, but I can research pretty well and like to keep my ear to the ground what's going on generally.

I do need to be pointed in the right direction though, otherwise I'll end up spouting spurious amounts of shit like you'll find on my blog
http://wonkydonkeyrambler.blogspot.com/

Can bash out photos all day long too.
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Write for Ravetalk!

Postby sim667 » 23 May 2011, 13:59

Aces :D
sim667
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Postby PaulX » 23 May 2011, 14:57

Actually, while we're at it, does anyone know someone who is good with Wordpress templates (for the home pages)?

The current one is an old one that was brought back in an emergency after a more recent one had got screwed up. I was always meaning to revive the other one but never got around to it (as usual ;)).

But both versions were based on K2, a template system that was well ahead of its time - but then Wordpress nicked most of its best ideas, so it's old hat now and it would be nice to build a custom template from scratch. It's something I have been meaning to do but I keep procrastinating on it - it would be good if someone who designs these things for a living could lend a hand. A word of warning to anyone offering to do this - this isn't just a simple HTML/CSS job, Wordpress templates involve a lot of PHP programming code. :fear:
PaulX
resident geek
resident geek

Postby demetzy » 23 May 2011, 15:06

I am pretty useless at any techoloigcal stuff but I would be more than happy to write any reviews of gigs I go to/ any material you give me to listen to. I write for the trade press at work sometimes (articles and book reviews) but thats all I have ever done.
demetzy
Proper Hardcore Raver
Proper Hardcore Raver

Sorted out: 16 times
Sorted in: 6 times

Postby FOTZA » 23 May 2011, 15:13

I'd be up for reviewing equipment, tunes and the occasional event :wink: I actually graduated with a BA (Hons) in Media Writing 8/9 years ago but failed to do a great deal with it so I guess I should make an effort!
FOTZA
Incorrigible Post Whore
Incorrigible Post Whore

Sorted out: 16 times
Sorted in: 14 times

Postby fletcher » 23 May 2011, 17:54

I have actually done a Glade Festival guide that I was going to stick on my tumblr blog - but since it will get more notice here your welcome to use it if you like. I will try and finish it over the weekend and send it over to you, your welcome to use it / hack it to bits / ignore it as you see fit :)
fletcher
Friend of Ravetalk
Friend of Ravetalk

Sorted out: 26 times
Sorted in: 29 times
Motto: RoadKill Cru

Next

Return to Community (archive)